I'm very fed up with Rogers Internet. It says I have used 114GB in 8 days, I don't understand how I could possibly reach that amount. I do not download movies or torrents. I only stream and my average download usage is normally 4-5GB. However, lately, it's showing 25GB in one day. How is that even possible?
I called customer serivce, and the reps don't understand. My wireless network is password protected, no torrent downloads, only streaming and Netflix here and there. So is this an error or does Rogers really want me to take my business elsewhere?
For example, yesterday Rogers website says we used 25GB. I'm the only one who has the Netflix password on my personal laptop. I was not home yesterday. My kids only stream, even then they are at school and are on the computer maybe 3-4 hours. I feel Rogers bandwidth monitoring is outrageous and I'm starting to lose my faith in them.
please believe me when I say that I am entirely sympathetic to your situation!
I just did some basic arithmetic on your 114 Gbits (or is it bytes?) in eight days. Basically, I just punched some number into "calculator".
Your 114 Gb in 8 days works out to 14.25 Gb per day.
Which is 593.75 Mb per hour.
This is 9.90 Mb per minute.
That is 164.9 Kb per second.
I could conclude that you have:
a) a really good connection to the Internet (sorry! Totally Facetious).
b) some really, really dedicated data transfers taking place.
c) you have some really dedicated people hacking into your WiFi.
d) you have some highly productive spambots or something on your computer(s) continuously using terrifically high data rates. Or,
e) the Rogers data volume accounting algoritm is totally out to LUNCH!!!!
I encourage you to take this to the highest levels in Rogers to get your situation taken care of. The numbers here are not just borderline RIDICULOUS, they are TOTALLY RIDICULOUS!!
I wish you the best of luck in this, and let us know how you get this resolved, please.
When, oh when, is the Government/CRTC going to get involved in this and bring truth, reason and honesty to the situation. PLEeease!!!!
Sorry if my above came out wrong.. i am not trying to accuse you saying its your fault.. it COULD be on the rogers end.
But just trying to iliminate things. Sometimes without us knowing, things can be using lots of bandwith without us knowing. A few users have come here in the past where they had mac updates/windows updates stuck in a loop.. continualy downloading, in the background. A virus/malware can be spaming out and doing it. Often without us knowing.
That is one reason why i recomended a day (or at least most of the day) with NOTHING connected (i know its hard especialy with the kids..), with a changed password and wireless name.. Illiminate EVERYTHING.. and if its still going up, you can take that to rogers as proof.. that NOTHING was on/connected. Otherwise, its hard to prove that its not something local.
as Gdkitty suggests, a day or so of "internet fasting" might be the only way to prove or disprove the point. Shut off everything (yeah, shut off the modem!). If the data volume as measured by Rogers stops growing, you have demonstrated something.
On the other hand, if the data volume numbers at Rogers still increase over the period of your shutdown, the conclusion is obvious as well.
You will, of course need to have the specific data volume numbers from Rogers for before and after your shutdown period. Without those numbers, the exercise seems pointless.
Something similar happened to us at least twice. There was no one home during the day and no one downloading anything but one or two TV shows and our account usage was saying we were using 20,000b on three or four different days. In the end the tech at Rogers admited there was a problem at their end and we weren't charged for the overage.