1.5 apps What's your favs?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

1.5 apps What's your favs?

Hello 

I've decided not to root my HTC Dream, and make the most of cupcake.  

I can't say it was the first priority. but getting a On Screen Keyboard, was important to me.  By searching for HTC_Ime.apk, I was sent to the xda pages.  I'm still looking for a free solution for the voice input for cupcake.

I may buy ultra keyboard from the market.  It's the only keyboard I've come across that has working speech input, for cupcake. 

also one of my must have apps, is searching by voice.  This link was very helpful, the 1.5Hero version seems to work:

http://www.droid-den.com/app-guides/app-guide-add-voice-search-to-htc-phones

I use Remote Wav Free for listening to my Magicjack voicemails that are emailed to me.

Since there's no "chrome to phone"  for 1.5 devices, I use http://linkpush.appspot.com  It works and it's free from the market.

I am currently running Guava instead of  Sipdroid, since I have a 604 Gizmo5 "call in" number.  It  was easier than the dealing with pbxes.org that sipdroid is dependent on.  I find both kill the battery to actually run full time. 

I like SMS Popup. but I'm looking for one that's not so glitchy, hopefully version 1.0.9 does the trick.

MyLock is my lazy way to unlock, but keeps the user created swipe pattern.

Quickpai  Barcode  v1.0 is my scanner.  Works, but all the help files are in Chinese.

FlashCup is my "flashlight" app of choice. 

File Manager by Adao Team works great for managing my files (v2.1.0)  I'm temped to try out there task manager.

voice input  search is working in google maps 3.1.2(#3187) (seems as far as I can update without root).

Google Listen is my podcast manager, I like the google reader integration.

I've been trying out Zean as an alternate home.  I would have preferred to get adw launcher, but I don't think it exists for cupcake.  Zean is not a bad alternative   I like how it can do landscape display where the stock home is incapable.  Also the drop to uninstall is great for an app junkie like me.

Things yet to get, can you help?

speech to text keyboard
multi touch
navagator

speech to text keyboard

better voice for text to speech for cupcake, ATM it's too robotic

music controls on lockscreen for the default music.app

google navagator

multi touch( ohh how I miss you multi touch!)

I have more installed that still need their fare share of time, before I can comment.  But hey, how about you?  Are you still on Cupcake too?  

***edited labels***

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: 1.5 apps What's your favs?

Hi carlosdudas and welcome to the forums,

Great writeup!

I myself have an iPhone and Blackberry (next phone I want to try an Android Smiley Happy) so don't have much know how when it comes to 3rd party Androids apps.

Does anyone else have any useful Andriod apps they discovered?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Although you can enable multi-touch in Android 1.5, only the web-browser will be able to use it. Multi-touch was only added to version 2.0 of the Android SDK, so you will never be able to use multi-touch with third-party (non google) apps under android 1.5.

I would recommend rooting your device and upgrading to Android 2.2. Your phone isn't supported by Rogers any more anyway, so what is the benefit to keeping it unrooted? Apart from multi-touch, you are missing out on many recent apps that will only work on Android 2.1 or higher (e.g. the twitter app). I'm the developer of the Groupboard app, and it requires android 2.0 or later because we use multi-touch.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Dave how are you?  Yes I agree, if people are comfortable, root access is required to really take advantage of the Dream's hardware, and the whole customizable Android user experience.  You are right, a lot of applications now have it embedded in their manifest, to segregate from Cupcake, since I believe it's a different SDK.    For myself, this is my second Dream, as I made my last one unbootable by an error in flashing process> Yes, you can say it, I'm a n00b when it come's to this kind stuffSmiley Very Happy  That's why I'm just going to hold off on using custom ROMs for now, until I can have a better understanding of the developer side of things.

Dave, I'm curious if you'd be willing to share, how I would go about enabling multi-touch in Android 1.5?  I believe you are mistake, at least with the stock1.5 ROM from Roger's, multi touch doesn't seem to be an option, with the Webkit brower, or any other Google products, for that matter.  I particularly miss it, in Google MapsSmiley Sad.

I can only find information regarding multi touch with a rooted T-mobile 1.5 G1, or the Google Developer phone, which has native root access.  Any help is appreciated!

Luke Hutchison's blog post on Multi touch on the G1

Youtube video example of multi touch

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Not sure it's possible in the Rogers version...you would probably need to root it.

I now understand your concern about rooting your phone. I've never rooted an Android phone (I don't even own one yet), so I'll bear your experience in mind if/when I do!