unwanted text messages...

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

unwanted text messages...

From the day I activated an i-phone 3 gs I have received one text message a day with a "win an i-pad" message by answering a silly multiple choice message and texting back to 55 155.

On my last bill I had a $60 add on that seemed to be related for accessing special services.  Rogers customer services quickly credited the account when called and said they would cease but they're still coming.

I have texted back "stop", "stop all" and several other suggested options, all to not avail.

Any suggestions as to how to end to this annoying intrusion or block further messages would be helpful....

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm Here A Lot

Re: unwanted text messages...

Are you able to block the number that the texts are coming from? Is it an actual 10 digit phone number sending them to you?

Retired Moderator RogersJean
Retired Moderator

Hi cdnklc and welcome to the community!

Try replying STOP in capital letters, I believe lower case is not enough. If it keeps coming I recommend speaking with customer care again at 1866-931-3282 or trying to find out the name of the sender so you can file a complaint.

I've Been Here Awhile

i have texted your suggested response - STOP in capital letters - and will let you know if they do...

thanks

Rogers Employee WiseD
Rogers Employee

Another common way to stop premium SMS (spam) is by replying with UNSUBSCRIBE if STOP doesnt work.

Cheers

I'm a Senior Contributor

I did a quick google search on the number you put above and found a phone number for the company charging you. If when you reply "Stop" you don't get an automated message back advising you have been unsubscribed, then try calling them to manually do it.

Their number is 1-877-777-3891.

Best of luck,

I've Been Here Awhile

Hello. I just received a text message from sprized, and as I have never subscribed to anything like this, I looked it up and read about people being charged for incoming texts they never asked for. I also read consistently that texting "stop" in reply would prevent any further texts, but would not prevent a charge for the one received already. So I immediately called Rogers 611 and had a block put on my account and inquired as to whether any charge was showing for the one just received. The rep said she could not see any yet but that it may still appear and that there would be nothing she could do about that. I would need to deal with sprized to see if I could get the charge reversed. I cannot believe this is legal. And whether or not it is legal, it is the dumbest customer relations move Rogers has made in a while. The forums and boards I am reading are filled with folks who, like me, will simply move from Rogers if this policy is upheld. How could anyone have expected anything different? Wow. 

In any case, I am emailing this now, within a half an hour of receipt of the text and my instant phone call to 611, and am awaiting my next bill with keen interest. I will pursue absolutely every single avenue available to me to ensure I am satisfied on this matter, including ombudsmen, CEOs, the media, and the social media. And, obviously, ending my relationship with the company.

I've Been Around

Noticed this thread and decided to lend some I site as to why Rogers (and pretty much any cell phone provider) will not credit for these text messages. Premium text messages are billed by the company to your carrier from the company that sends them and then your carrier passes that charge onto you. The cell phone company does not make a profit from this at all. Premium messages have been around as long as text messaging has. If you call up your cellular provider they should be able to block them so you stop incurring the charges but I've done customer care for multiple cell phone companies and all of them had the policy of never crediting for them.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Actually Soma Rogers has been able to credit many people from charges like this. Yes they have the policy but what rep actually listens to the policies? You have reps which lie, give the wrong info & such.

I have had this exact same issue with Rogers & Bell & they BOTH were able to credit me back. Also searching i saw many others with the same feedback as me.

Although i do agree premium texts are billed straight from the company & not Rogers, Rogers does have agreements tho with the companies which let them have access tho.
I Plan to Stick Around

I recieved a txt from a number for an Ipad going to http://www.canada.coolsms.info to claim my prize.

How do I stop these **bleep**?

Thanks,

V