cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unwanted text messages...

cdnklc
I've been here awhile

From the day I activated an i-phone 3 gs I have received one text message a day with a "win an i-pad" message by answering a silly multiple choice message and texting back to 55 155.

On my last bill I had a $60 add on that seemed to be related for accessing special services.  Rogers customer services quickly credited the account when called and said they would cease but they're still coming.

I have texted back "stop", "stop all" and several other suggested options, all to not avail.

Any suggestions as to how to end to this annoying intrusion or block further messages would be helpful....

***edited labels***

40 REPLIES 40

Re: unwanted text messages...

ImUser
I've been around

The following came from an apparent Rogers system text# 4735:
Note the //roge.rs phishing URL. Looking to get email addresses... I guess.

Rogers msg: Spreading the word now pays off! Refer your friends to Rogers & you could SAVE up to $25/month off your wireless bills, to a maximum of $300/year (conditions apply). Visit http://roge.rs/RYFD13e to learn how to refer and save! Go to rogers.com/stop to opt out.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello ImUser

That text is legit. You will need to go into the link it shows you & follow the steps. There is no email address.

cookiemay2323
I've been around

I am looking for some help, i am being sent messages from a web site called 

Freetxt.ca, 

i have gone to the website to block my number and it dont work.  There is no number to block on my phone, just nasty messages.  I really dont want to change my number for this.  How do you block text messages from websites?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello cookiemay2323

You may have to contact the website owners or mods to have your number blocked but again may not work. You can contact Rogers and change your number for $25. That's the easiest thing i can really tell you to do.

RonMac
I've been around

I have a new phone and new number and am receiving disgusting, offensive texts ... I have never subscribed to anything remotey connected to this type of stuff ... so what do I do? by replying STOP as suggested does this open me up for more of this?

What if the number sending the unwanted spam text is not a real phone number (e.g., 9 digits instead of 10)? 

The spam messages are unfortunate.  Everyone is affected by this not just you.  If You see that the message is from a 9 digit number ie: 333 33x xxx or 222 22x xxx then its NOT coming from a phone number. Someone is spamming emails to the Rogers SMS E-mail gateway which is yournumber@sms.rogers.com.  as of current, rogers has no way to properly block this or turn off the @sms.rogers.com gateway.

pjessie
I've been around

Junk texts

Hello,

I've noticed over the summer that my wife and I have received an increased amount of junk texts. All of the texts are random. Some being for surveys, others being mystery shop jobs and some have sexual harassment. We can try blocking the numbers but we keep receiving them from other numbers. Some of these numbers are 222-2222 or +1(647) 962-2791, +1(519) 551-4681. I also received a message from someone in the UK +86 130-7861-1654...These are just a feew examples. I'm really getting tired of these messages and want to know if there is anything I can do. Is there a setting on the phone (Iphone 6) that I'm missing? Will Rogers do anything? Is anyone else getting these stupid messages? 

Thank you

Hello @pjessie,

Unfortunately in this case, there isn't much that we can do to stop spammers that continually change their numbers using software applications. I recommend that you report any spam texts you receive here: 

http://fightspam.gc.ca/eic/site/030.nsf/frm-eng/MMCN-9EZV6S

The more reports they get, the better our chances at putting a permanent stop to this behaviour.

RogersCorey

Yes that may have worked before

BUT they have gotten smart and there txt phone numbers are showing up now with only 9 digits

ex: 222220000,333330001

How do we block these numbers now , your web site for text blocking only accepts 10 digit numbers

they are smart because they are not using the SMS protocol to send you those messages. They show up as a 9 digit number because they are sending the spam messages to you via email, they are spamming your phonenumber@sms.rogers.com or phonenumber@pcs.rogers.com address. when anything is sent to those emails, rogers converts it into an sms and generates the number then sends it to your phone because it would be impossible to send it to your sms inbox without it containing a valid number.

I am now getting continuous spam texts.  I have tried blocking one and then they change the number slightly.  Is there anything more effective I can do?

This doesn't work; the sending changes the number and sends another spam text. Blocking the number isn't really working.

kslui
I plan to stick around

Called Rogers for opt out junk text message to 505-0 and get charged for 45¢ for international test message.

RogersShaun
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @kslui,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing your experience, and my apologies for the delayed response. 

I'm sorry to hear about the unexpected charge. If you'd like us to look into this further for you, please feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps.  If you're not familiar with this process, please check out this Blog.

Kind regards,

RogersShaun

Whitman58
I've been around
I just received a text from 4735 with an attachment. 1. Who is the number attached to and 2. I refuse to open unsolicited attachments. Is there a way of stopping this .

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Whitman58 : One way to help is to forward any spam texts to 7726 (SPAM).  These will then be blocked by Rogers.

Hello @Whitman58!

Thanks for joining us here in the Rogers Community Forums and congrats on your first post! 😄

I know in this day and age, it can be pretty difficult to know if a communication you are receiving is a legitimate one! When in doubt, it's always a good idea to ask. 👌

We send SMSs from short codes (4-6 digit numbers) instead of 10-digit phone numbers and we reference the URL: rogers.com.

Messages sent from short code '4735' should be legitimate communications from Rogers. I have received text messages from that same short code myself. 

If you prefer not to receive any further marketing communications from Rogers, we can submit the request for you if you send us a Private Message to @CommunityHelps. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please CLICK HERE.

Please note: It may take up to 10 days for your information to be added to the Internal Do Not Call List. Customers may still be contacted during the first 10 days after registering.

Just a friendly reminder when receiving a message from an unknown source: For your own safety and security, please DO NOT click on any links/URL in the messages and do not provide the sender with any personal information. 

If you feel that the message is suspicious and could be possible spam, please forward the content of the SMS to 7726 (SPAM), to register it for investigation and blocking from the Rogers network (as mentioned by @57).

You can also block the sender from sending you future messages by accessing your device's Options/Settings

I hope this helps!

RogersLaura

I received a Rogers Code from a number 6507 ? How do I know this is really from Rogers ? And no I had not request any code...

Hey @Christine12!

We appreciate your participation in the Community and congrats on your first post! 🙂

When you have an opportunity, please have a look at my previous post. I provided some information on how to determine if a text message is legitimately from Rogers, as well as advice on how to handle questionable or unwanted messages. 

I hope you find the information in this thread useful! If you have any other questions or thoughts that you'd like to share with the Community, please feel free to post again! 

We hope to see you around the Community!

RogersLaura

Topic Stats