phone receiving & sending weird texts?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: phone receiving & sending weird texts?

Husband phone lg3 and my iPhone 5s just did the same thing we run on chatr using Rogers network. It's pay as you go! I text husband and got a response back 浥獳攠攠漠ㄲ㈶㌳㠱㈷攠獵獵敥摥搮 he is working so I know it wasn't him. I googled it it's Chinese but even in their language it makes no sense!
I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same problem. Someone gets a text in Chinese (separate from texts I have actually sent) and then they take a screen shot to show me what was sent. 

I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same problem, yes. I use a SAMSUNG GALAXY 6 though, not an iPhone. I'm texting from my SMARTPHONE, not an oapp, when it happens. It's happened 3-4x, to two different friends, several months apart.

I've Been Around

This just occurred when I sent my daughter a text. I am using an iPhone 5se and she is using a LG G5.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Perhaps this post will help?

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/SMS-in-Chinese-Characters/m-p/401951#M19718

There was also some mention on the web that an emoji in the text may trigger the issue, so try to mention that to your contacts.  

I've Been Here Awhile

I have figured this out. So basically, when some devices are having reception or signal issues, it would seem that this message comes through. It's a confirmation message that the last message you sent got through. It shouldn't show up in your conversation at all but it does, not sure about that. But basically when converted to UTF-16 all of the hex gets bunched into groupes of 4 likely due to some kind of file compression. To convert it back you just chop it into two for most of the 4 character blocks. E.g. 7475 becomes 74 75 (properly formatted to 0074 0075) so you go from having 瑵 (this is \u7475) to having tu (which would be \u0074\u0075 in UTF-16)

So basically if these are continually happening either your phone's sms app needs to be cleared or you should pay attention to how much signal you have before sending an sms.

Hope this clarifies everything for everyone.

By the way what the full message usually translates into is "message to 1xxxxxxxxxx succeeded" with the x's being the number of the person you're messaging, so I wouldn't go posting the outputs on many forums incase someone knows whats up Smiley Happy
I've Been Here Awhile

I should mention that this isn't actually an apple specific problem whatsoever. Best guess? The tower is compressing a send recept and phones don't know how to decompress it.
I've Been Around

Hi,

I just purchased the Google Pixel 2 XL from Rogers a couple of weeks ago and today the same thing happened to me. Initially, a friend of mine sent me a text and I didn't respond right away because I was busy but she had followed up saying "is this still your phone"? I thought she was overreacting to the fact that I didn't respond right away but she then sent me a screenshot of the conversation. It showed that my phone had responded to her with Chinese letters! I had no record of this from my end.

Is my phone hacked?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@nkurtycz: Here's a previous thread discussing the issue and why it happens.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/SMS-in-Chinese-Characters/td-p/369927/page/3