iPhone free unlock

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

iPhone free unlock

I thought part of the CRTC bill was that cell providers had to provide free unlocks?  From googling it seems Rogers requires you to have the phone on a contract for 90 days THEN you have to pay $50.  What a rip off.

Telus, as much as I hate them, does $35 for unlock.

There are local guys who do it for $25 you just have to give them your IMEI.  Even that is steep.

If I was totally desperate I'd just jailbreak my phone and done.

I plan to go travelling next year but there is no way I am paying $50 for an unlock.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: iPhone free unlock

Hello KILL

No the CRTC never made that rule. They made the rule that after 90 days, u can unlock your device for a fee or if u buy the device outright, u can unlock it for a fee the same day u get it.

Aa yes every carrier has a different price like u listed. That is your choice not to pay the $50 and not unlock it legally. If u wish to jailbreak and unlock it that way, please understand that u pay have issues with the device. It does happen from time to time.
I Plan to Stick Around

K thanks for clarifying.

You are wrong about jailbreak though.  The only issue with Jailbreak is you cannot update to the latest version of iOS.

Android on the other hand - rooted - can update and do everything else normally.

Also paying someone to unlock your phone is legal.  Where did you hear it was illegal?  Thousands of people do it.  There are tons of local people who do it, usually around the same price.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello KILL

That is correct BUT if something happens to the device, the manufacturer and the carrier will NOT replace or repair it for free. Reason being as u unlocked it via jailbreaking it. Also that is correct, if u unlock it via Jailbreaking, and u update the software, it will lock back to the. Carrier u are with.

Also u can damage the device unlocking it many ways. I have seen this and heard of it many timea. Depends on who u go to or if u know how to do it.
I Plan to Stick Around

Oh I see what you are saying now.

Yes if on contract and you Jailbreak and something 'did' happen Rogers or whoever your carrier is will not replace the phone.

That being said, pretty much all new Android phone companies encourage and support rooting.  So if something did happen, the manufacture has your back if your under the phones warranty.  Rogers wouldn't help you though.

Also I don't see how device unlocking can damage your phone.  These people who are doing it simply enter your IMEI into the database.  They usually have contacts @ Telus, Rogers, AT&T, etc that's how they get it done.  You cannot really screw up.  Once it is unlocked, it's unlocked forever.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello KILL

I understand what your saying but your wrong at one thing. Apple, BlackBerry and Nokia do NOT encourage anyone to root their device. Only Android does BUT even Sony, HTC, Samsung never go live and tell you to root your device. Developers do but not the company

That being said, i have had a few cellphone stores damage people phones ( software wise) because they unlocked it the wrong way and caused issues. This has happened on Iphones mostly.
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes Android devices, not iPhones.  I don't think Apple would ever support Jailbreaking.  They want you locked into to their ecosystem.

Explain the issues you know from unlocking please.  I have never heard any complaints.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello KILL

Apple / Nokia / Blackberry want you to be locked in thus why they never offer any custom ROMS or rooting. Blackberry does have apps for themes & such but not as you can with Android. Apple out of all of them wants you real hard to be locked into their ecosystem in which many it seems like but me & you & others rather have Android of a OS which can give you options.

My buddy last year got his iPhone 5. Went to unlock it downtown Toronto to a guy that claimed he could unlock it. He dropped it off & we went to the Eatons center. Came back after an hour like he said it would take. The phone took 10 minutes to boot up. Then the sim card for any carrier including the Rogers one was not recognized. He claimed it was like that before. Funny as he just got the phone brand spanking new from Rogers. So in the end he did claim he used software which was not supposed to be used on the iPhone to try & unlock it which caused the OS & phone to have issues.

I have heard this happen in the States & in cases here in Toronto. Also when i went to the store, the women behind me was telling me she tried unlocking her iPhone 5 from someone & the phone OS started having issues. It depends on who you go to & how they do it. Its not that easy if someone has no clue on what they are doing...

I Plan to Stick Around

Well that guy scammed your friend plain and simple.  He probably screwed up a Jailbreak and then tried to software unlock the phone.

You do not have to leave your phone anywhere to get it unlocked.  All you have to do is give the person your IMEI #.

These people unlocking either work for the cell companies, know someone who does, or have a business account that has x number of free unlocks.

Your IMEI # is sent to the Apple server where it is permanetly hardware unlocked...  Once you connect to iTunes it communicates with the servers and sends the unlock message to your phone.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello KILL

Sadly i thought exactly what u said as well. When i went to a Apple store and told them i unlocked mine via a store they refused to help me as i didn't buy it unlocked or unlock it via Rogers.

Yes you are correct tho, the IMEI number will be sent to Apples systems and permanently unlock it. Problem is that not many places can do it. Some can and some can't.