iPhone SE Upgrade

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

iPhone SE Upgrade

I really like what I see in the new iPhone SE. I have a question for the experts who understand upgrades and the selection of wireless plans. I have an iPhone 4S 64GB, which I bought in October of 2011. It has been a great phone and hasn't given me a single problem in all that time, plus it runs the current version of iOS. Obviously, it does not support many features which have been added over the years, such as Wi-Fi calling.

I just went through the process on the Rogers site to upgrade my phone to the SE 64GB version. Once I got through the whole process, I noticed that no credit was shown for my 4S and I ended up with a share everything plan, the cheapest of which costs over $100 per month including tax. I cancelled the upgrade request once I saw the bottom line. I'm not a big user of the phone and don't need plans which share everything with someone else. I'm retired and live on a very modest, fixed income and can't afford that kind of money. My current plan is just over $80 per month, including tax, and it gets very little usage.

My question is, for those familiar with the ins and outs of upgrading, plus the current plans, is there some way I can get the new phone without paying a lot more per month than I do already? The price of the new phone is quite reasonable, so I'm not concerned about that.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Smiley Happy

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: iPhone SE Upgrade

Hello @jimboden

I wish i had better news on that:(. All carriers require you to get a new plan when getting a new Smartphone on a upgrade or new activation. The only thing u can do is call in and see what they can offer you on a plan.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @jimboden

Great device to upgrade too! Sadly i won't be getting this one as its not the device I am looking for.

Sadly to upgrade to any new Smartphone you will need a new Smart Everything Plus plan. This is required to do a upgrade and no one to do a run around. You COULD contact Rogers and speak to retentions or a managers and see what they could do for you 6
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @jimboden

Great device to upgrade too! Sadly i won't be getting this one as its not the device I am looking for.

Sadly to upgrade to any new Smartphone you will need a new Smart Everything Plus plan. This is required to do a upgrade and no one to do a run around. You COULD contact Rogers and speak to retentions or a managers and see what they could do for you 6

@Meowmix

Thanks for the advice. Your answer did not surprise me.Smiley Sad

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @jimboden

I wish i had better news on that:(. All carriers require you to get a new plan when getting a new Smartphone on a upgrade or new activation. The only thing u can do is call in and see what they can offer you on a plan.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

You could switch to Fido (littler Rogers) and get a cheaper plan, but pay a bit more ($350) for the device. This could be a middle of the road between getting the phone outright at full price ($709) and the new Share Everything+ contract price?

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Upgraded from 5S to SE

Hi everyone. I just wanted to find out what I can do with an iPhone 5S with no SIM card in it. I want to use it as an iPod but, when I restored the device to it's factory setting eracing the original data, it then told me that it requires a sim card to continue with activation. Any advice would be appreciated.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Carrottop1023

I would just pop in the sim card, do the activation and then remove the sim. That way you can use it as a iPod. Then pop in the sim into the SE and that's it :).