cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 8 Plus - Can not make outgoing calls, internet still works

JessicaW
I've been here awhile

I am able to use internet but I can not make outgoing call. It states that “Call Failed” every time I try to make a phone call. Is this the Rogers network? How or when will this be fixed? Thx

***EDITED LABELS***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: iPhone 8 Plus - Can not make outgoing calls, internet still works

JessicaW
I've been here awhile
Hi,

I actually went into a Rogers store and they had to give me a new SIM card. Apparently this is a known problem with iPhone 7, 8 and 10. It can be text, calling or LTE... something stops working. Anyways, the new SIM fixed the problem.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

RogersMoin

Hello, @JessicaW.

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community, unable to make calls can surely be inconvenient!

We can certainly help in troubleshooting the issue and find a solution for you. Would you please answer the following?

Are you using WiFi or a 3rd party Application for making the calling?

Are the outbound calls failing at a particular location?

Are you able to receive calls?

Do you know if others in your household experiencing the same issue?

I'm assuming you have already tried rebooting your phone. If not, please reboot the phone and if the issue persists you can try resetting Network settings. 

Keep us posted!

Cheers,

RogersMoin

JessicaW
I've been here awhile
Hi,

I’m not using wifi, just the Rogers LTE network.
The calls do not even initiate, they fail right away when I try to call someone.
My son, who also has a Rogers plan (attached to my account) can make outgoing calls.
I’ve tried rebooting the phone many times, I’ve reset the network settings, I’ve tried to see if Call Forwarding is on but it just spins when I click on that option.

I can use my data and make calls through WhatsApp or FB Messanger but I can not make a regular phone call. I’m stumped and frustrated.
I also wonder if it’s the phone and if I should return it as it’s only 3 weeks old.
Help!

Thx!

Hello @JessicaW,

Thank you for getting back to us. Recently, Ottawa Ontario was ravaged by a vicious tornado which left several neighbourhoods devastated :(. Rogers also felt the impact of the storm as we are aware LTE services are down at some sites in Ottawa and working to restore them. Before we troubleshoot further, I'd like to verify whether or not you're within the Ottawa region to rule this out being the cause?

Look forward to hearing back from you!

RogersCilio

JessicaW
I've been here awhile
Hi,

I actually went into a Rogers store and they had to give me a new SIM card. Apparently this is a known problem with iPhone 7, 8 and 10. It can be text, calling or LTE... something stops working. Anyways, the new SIM fixed the problem.

Hey @JessicaW,

I really appreciate you providing your solution to the Community! I'm sure it'll help someone else with the same problem, in the future!

Thank you for your contribution :)!

RogersCilio

nasa25
I'm a trusted contributor
@JessicaW

Thanks for posting the final solution to your problem. Like Cilio said, it’ll most likely come in very handy when someone else is experiencing the same issue!

jvosbourgh514
I've been here awhile

I received a new sim card for my phone to pair with my apple watch 4 and it still has the same issue. Ive now shut my cellular off for my watch just so I can use it. otherwise my phone ends up not being able to receive or make calls !

Hello @jvosbourgh514,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and a big congratulations on your first post! 😃

I am a huge fan of wearables so I can imagine just how annoying it is to get your Apple Watch 4 LTE and not be able to use the Cellular functions of the watch due to these issues.

Can you confirm if the devices you are using are Rogers devices or purchased elsewhere? Can you also confirm what OS you are running on your iPhone 8 Plus/Apple Watch 4?

Are any other Apple Watch users in the Community facing a similar issue when activating Cellular on their watches? @nasa25 is our Resident Expert who specializes in Apple products so I am hoping he may be able to chime in as well.

We look forward to your response!

RogersTony

Thanks !

Both my devices are from Rogers and both are running the latest IOS software. I’ve called multiple times into tech support and each time they just reset my network, works for a while but then goes back to it. My phone just comes up with call failed and can’t receive calls. Every time I call I get different responses. One says it’s a known issue, one blames Apple and one says they’ve never heard of it before!

Any feedback would be great on when this will be fixed.

Hello again @jvosbourgh514,

Thanks so much for elaborating on what is going on. We'd like to review the notes on your file and see what has been done thus far before we proceed. Please send a Private Message to @CommunityHelps so we can gather your info and get started on this for you.

If you are not familiar with our Private Messaging system please check out our BLOG.

RogersTony

nasa25
Pretty weird situation. I’ve never heard of a connected Apple Watch causing call failures on an iPhone. I think the problem is more with the iPhone than the Apple Watch or the fact that it’s connected to the phone. If the SIM card has been swapped I’d reset the network settings on the phone as a next step.

To confirm, if the LTE on the watch is turned off, calls to/from the iPhone go through without issue? And then when LTE on the watch is turned on the calls fail? Definitely an odd situation.

jvosbourgh514
I've been here awhile

Correct calls work fine when LTE is turned off and not when it is turned on. The network has been reset multiple times, each time I call in that is their solution. Over private message RogersMaude has informed me that they have now sent the signal to my SIM again. I will try it for a while and let you know if problem reoccurs. Thanks 

nasa25
Has this been happening since the initial watch setup and LTE activation on the Rogers network?

jvosbourgh514
I've been here awhile
No not until a while after, probably a month in

JessicaW
I've been here awhile
Hi,
I wanted to update this forum as the same issue occurred again in December. Instead of going back to Rogers to get a new SIM card, I went to Apple and they ran diagnostics on my phone and determined that something was not properly working. I ended up getting a new iPhone 8 as it was still within the 1 year period.
Just thought I’d update this to let people know that it may be something wrong with the actual phone.

nasa25

@jvosbourgh514  this is a super weird issue.

If it were me, I'd be unlinking the watch from the phone (including unlinking the Rogers LTE account first) and then re-syncing the watch to the phone (including re-linking the LTE data plan).  Other than that, resetting your network settings would be another step I'd take.

If that doesn't sort it....a trip to the Apple Genius Bar hopefully will.  

Topic Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 in conversation