iPhone 6s Suddenly Stops Receiving eMail & no Safari Connections when using Wireless

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

iPhone 6s Suddenly Stops Receiving eMail & no Safari Connections when using Wireless

Hi folks,

Our iPhone 6s has suddenly begun to stop working for IP based Apps three weeks ago.

This only happens over our Wireless Access Point.

If we disconenct the connection, and reconnect, it still doesn't work.

If we delete the wireless entry from the phone and re-create, it begins to work again.

However the next day it will stop working.

When it is not working, if we turn off wireless, the Cell Data picks it up and all IP functions immedaitely work.

When we switch back from Cell Data to Wireless, it stops working. Note that when the wireless connection stops working, the actual connection shows "connected" as it normally would.

We have two different access points, both behave the same way.

I have reset all Network Configurations on the phone, same results.

I also reset all configs - saving data, same result.

Apart from a complete wipe, I have run out of troubleshooting options...

Anyone have any ideas ?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersSannecia
Retired Moderator

Re: iPhone 6s Suddenly Stops Receiving eMail & no Safari Connections when using Wireless

Hello @dalexopoulos

Thank you for your post .

This might be something one of our Resident Experts @Datalink or @Gdkitty  might be able to assist with.

RogersSannecia

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Re: iPhone 6s Suddenly Stops Receiving eMail & no Safari Connections when using Wireless

May be I am missing some information, but I would like to know,

Does any other devices work with on the wifi or wired network while your Apple device is having the issue?

Do you soley run Apple products?

What it sounds like is your internal network is active but no transmission of data/connection through the modem.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey there Shak,

Yes that's one piece I left out.

My two WAPs host Blackberry's, Androids, Laptops, Smart TVs as well.

Interestingly, I have two iPads that work fine.

This seems to be isolated to the iPhone 6S.

The other interesting fact is that we have an iPhone 4S, which is working OK on the same WAPs.

I tried changing all kinds of settings in the phone too, nothing seems to make a difference.

It's as if the phone begins to execute something over IP and queues everything else up ????

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Well then, THAT just threw me theory out. o(>__<)o

I wouldn't recommend wiping out your device, though this does seem to be a device issue.

You could back up your whole device (via iTunes not iCloud) and test, but that is more so leading to troubleshooting Software/iOS - since network is not congested or having issues with other iOS/MAC and Android/BB devices.

I am definitely hoping someone in the community has ran through this before, besides a total wipe, I don't have any other suggestion (which I assume you are trying to avoid).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Do you have any capability to monitor the bandwidth that the two iphones are trying to use when you have this problem.  As an example, my Asus RT-AC68U has a bandwith display that I can watch in real time to see what device is taking up bandwidth.  If you have that capability, it will give you some idea of what the phone is doing.  You might also be able to monitor what IP address the phone is connecting with externally, which might provide some answers.  With QOS you could limit the bandwidth. 

Do you have the phones set to run any online backups automatically, that could potentially wake up at the most inopportune time and become a bandwidth hog?

Have there been any updates run on either the phones or access points that might have changed a setting somewhere?  If they are set to run updates automatically, it might be difficult to figure that out.

Consider assigning each phone to a static IP address, to reduce the chance of an IP conflict which could potentially bring everything done via the phone's wifi connection to a halt.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Folks,

Well I have more news on the Testing Front !

If I reboot the wireless router that the phone is connected to, it comes back online.

The Router is a Linksys EA6400

This behavior just began since the start of January and this is the only device that consistently locks up.

I imagine that the phone is attempting to negotiate something with the router, which kills the connection.

This phone begins to work if I reboot the router or delete the wireless connection and recreate.

I'll look at the router logs once it happens again to see the ip state, bandwidth characterstics etc.

I wonder if anyone else with iPhone 6s' are having similar issues ?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

One Quick note: The Router hasn't seen a software update for about a year. ( none have been available, so no change there )
Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation