iPhone 5: No Data While On Calls

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

iPhone 5: No Data While On Calls

I got an iPhone5 about a month ago.  I noticed that when I'm talking on the phone, my data access disappears which disallow me to access the internet.  This happens especially if I'm on the LTE network.  Sequence of network status is: 

1.  before making the phone call:  LTE

2.  call starts:  3G

3.  time elapse during the call this could be between 10 seconds to 4 minutes:  <blank> ==> no internet access

4.  call ends:  3E

5.  couple of minutes later:  3G/LTE

This does not always happen if I start the call with 3G network; but unfortunately it does happen sometimes.

I've reported this to Rogers Tech Support.  Tried a slew of options including receiving a new phone.  They're still working on it... but I've read this is a problem in the US... only AT&T could support the ability to have data access while using the phone function... but I did find a post of a user having problems when on LTE network.

I'm curious to see if anyone had encountered this problem.

****Edited Labels****

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: iPhone 5: No Data While On Calls

Hello mton

LTE is only for data, its not for voice. So when you are on LTE & trying to call or on a call, LTE will come off & go on 3G ( on iPhone's. 4G on other phones). This is because like i said LTE is ONLY data, it does not support voice.

Actually i can use the phone going on the internet while on the phone. I can do this on my iPhone 5. S3 & BlackBerry Z10. Rogers does support it. It could be something wrong with the signal or the service you are on.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks Meowmix... yes, I recognize that LTE is data... my experience is that I get NO data if I'm on the phone... this happens to me in multiple locations...

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello mton

Hmm that seems to be a problem either with the phone pr the plan you are on. It should let you access the internet / get data.

I've Been Here Awhile

Did the issues evey get fixed been been having the same issues with all 3 iphones ,  iphone 6S  ,Iphone 6 and my 5s  been over 7 months and keeps closing closing with out the issues being addressed   phones are unlocked and all work fine on  telus and bell  .

I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same issue and was able to set the correct apn with a profile and can get 3G data while on a call with this site http://www.unlockit.co.nz/fw/ after a year of having this issue
I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same issue with iPhone 6 plea help me! How to fix this I called rogers and they hv no idea
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Phi

Have you taken the device to a local Apple store and see a Apple rep to see if they can do?

Have you also gone into Settings - Cellular - Enable LTE - Voice and Data ( turned on).

If that doesn't help then visit the local Apple store and see what they can do. You can also visit Apple.ca and book a appointment with the genius bar rep at a time u prefer at the local u want.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Phi wrote:
I have the same issue with iPhone 6 plea help me! How to fix this I called rogers and they hv no idea

Go into settings -> general -> reset ->network reset. 

and like MeowMix mentioned "Enable LTE: Voice & Data" should be enabled. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks gp-se and meowmix yes i did try to reset it and go through seatting but that didn't help me the only thing I don't do it to visit the Apple Store, I'm new to Rogers I was with bell and Telus and it was working good