iPhone 4 locked to Rogers Carrier

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: iPhone 4 locked to Rogers Carrier

Hello westo

If indeed the original owner terminated his countract & paid off the phone, then yes the phone would be released from their account. That means the next person owning it, can unlock it as long as they add the IMEI number on their account & the other little policies Rogers has.

Okay let me explain this as you seem NOT to understand this. When you contact Rogers to get the phone unlocked, the unlocking team will ask for the IMEI number. They will check it using their program. If the IMEI number that is entered pops up in someone else s account, Rogers then can NOT unlock it or add it on your account as it will not allow it to happen. That is because the first owner has NOT either paid off their phone balance or has not cancelled their account.

No you are not reading what i am writing properly here. Lets say i sell you a phone which is locked to Rogers & tell you " I am selling it because i need the money to pay bills". You accept & do it. The phone IMEI number is still active on my account tho because i have NOT closed my account  or paid off the balance of the phone yet. This means if you want to unlock it, i have to either terminate my account OR pay off the flextab of the phone.

In the end, the ONLY way to get the phone unlocked, will be if the first owner pays off the balance of the phone or cancels their contract. If they have not done this, the IMEI number is still active on their account & the next person that owns the phone can not unlock it unless the owner cancels their account or pays off the balance.

I Plan to Stick Around

Apologize for having trouble, I guess I'm stuck on whether the problem is that the IMEI is on someone else's account, or that the  the contract is still active?

To your third paragraph - you tell me you're paying bills and I buy it.  The problem here for me is not that the IMEI is on your account, the problem is the contract has not been completed.

As I understand, even if the the IMEI was registered to another person's account who entered a contract, BUT that contract has been COMPLETED, then you can unlock it.

Maybe the issue is this - does IMEI registered = contract still active?  In other words, once the contract is up, does the IMEI become de-registered?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello westo

Its okay. Yes if the first owner has cancelled their account or paid off the balance of the phone, the IMEI number will be released from their account. That means the next person who gets the phone, can just open a Rogers account & add the IMEI number & unlock the phone ( must follow the Rogers unlocking policy to do that).

Yes the IMEI number will be DE-registered from the first owner.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok so you are confirming that when you said you have to be first owner of the phone, that was not accurate.  You do not have to be the first owner, you just need the first owner's contract to be completed so the IMEI is released.

So in summary for the interested poster.  As long as the original contract is completed or terminated, you can call up Rogers, give them the IMEI and they will unlock the phone.  It doesn't matter if the original contract was under your name or not, it just has to be completed.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello westo

That is correct. You just need the first owners contract or flextab paid off in order to get the IMEI number released & the phone to be unlocked.
I've Been Here Awhile

I got an iPhone 4 32GB from my aunt which is carrier locked! I want to request an unlock for my iPhone 4 wirelessly as:-

I am out of country and they told me that they want the phone physically to unlock my iPhone 4.

It is out of contract and warranty too!!

Please help ASAP 

Retired Moderator RogersSannecia
Retired Moderator

Hello @ akshatpunj

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Community Forums! 

Unlocking the device requires permission from the original owner of the device. We would also need to confirm the IMEI number of the device that you are requesting to unlock, which you would need to retrieve from the device. There is also a $50 + applicable taxes fee associated with unlocking the device.

Hope this helps.

RogersSannecia

I've Been Here Awhile

Well my aunt is the owner of the device.
If she requests the unlock for the device as she knows the imei no.
But i don't know if her rogers a/c is active. And i don't have the invoice also as the iDevice is almost 3-4 yrs. old!
Please help
Retired Moderator RogersMay
Retired Moderator

Your aunt who is the original owner of the device will have to request for the unlock.

If the account is no longer active, the account must have been cancelled within the past 12 months to be eligible for an unlock. The account balance (including cancellation fees, where applicable) must be paid in full. Keep in mind that she will have to pay the $50 (+taxes) fee by credit card.

Hope this helps 🙂

RogersMay

I've Been Here Awhile

My Aunt spoke to rogers customer care they said that they can do it. But it will take upto 3 months!

Really, will it take 3 months or there's some mistake?