iMessaging - only with Apple ID, not with number

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

iMessaging - only with Apple ID, not with number

I moved the number from Virgin to Rogers "Pay As You Go", 5 days ago, and ever since then I can not setup iMessaging to use cell phone number for iMessaging, only Apple ID. I used to have both setup "Under send and receive" when on Virgin but now only apple ID email is checked while left from the cell phone number (for days) circle is spinning. Also, on the main iMessaging screen, where I turned iMessaging ON it still says "Waiting for activation". Anyone have any idea why? I called Rogers customer service, Rogers technical support and even Apple technical  support. Rogers is saying that this is Apple issue and Apple is saying that htis is Rogers issues. Anyone on Rogers have this working, and how?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: iMessaging - only with Apple ID, not with number

Good evening @jevd,

Welcome to the Forums & Thank you for posting!

• Make sure in the Phone app, you’ve got your number listed. On top of ‘Contacts’ you should see your number listed (My Number). If not, you’ll need to go to Settings → Phone → My Number and enter your number.
  • Make sure Date & Time (under General) are correct. Set to ‘Set Automatically’ make sure the right Time Zone appears and the iPhone holds the right time.
  • Wi-fi issues can cause iMessage activation problems so have cellular enabled.

Sometimes, you just need to sign-out of your Apple ID and then login again.

1. Under Settings → Message, scroll down to where it says ‘Send & Receive’and tap on it.
  2. Tap on the Apple ID and then press Sign Out.
  3. Switch off iMessage now.
  4. Wait for a while (try to turn on/off Wifi) and then switch ON iMessage.
  5. Enter your Apple ID details now and try to reactivate iMessage

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

I've Been Here Awhile

I followed every step, which I probably tried many times in the last 5 days, but no luck.  I do have to say that I did get an error when trying to turn on iMessaging in your last steps:"iMessage Activation. An error occured during activation. Try again."  If I try again off/on several times, eventually this error doesn't show up. 

One more interesting fact. My child had the same Rogers plan "Pay As You Gp" for years and it was always using a number and Apple ID. Rogers technical support told me to put my SIM into that phone just to try it out. No luck. Still "Waiting for activation". Actually, when I returned original SIM to kids phone,  now that phone ne also no longer can use number and Apple ID for messaging.  This test broke iMessaging feature on the second phone too.  

Hello again @jevd,

Thank you so much for confirming that you have taken these steps.

I can definitely understand how frustrating it must be.

I was digging for other potential solutions and came accross the "Airplane Mode Fix".

I know it may sound strange but it has worked for other users getting the same activation error you are currentlyexperiencing.

Steps for iMessage Activation Airplane Mode Fix:

1. Access your Settings > scroll down and search for Messages > in Messages turn off iMessage AND disable Facetime.
  2. Now scroll up and open the Control Center. Tap on AirPlane Mode to turn it on. Make sure that you turn off  Wi-Fi as well.
  3. Wait for a little bit (or restart your phone if you want) and turn On Wi-fi.
  4. Go back to Messages from the Settings and turn on iMessage.
  5. You will most likely see a notification that ‘Your carrier may charge for SMS’. Tap  OK.
  6. If you are not shown the message. Turn off iMessage and turn it On again.
  7. Ideally, iMessage now be activated.

Please try the process above, and let me know if it resolved your issue.

Thanks!

RogersMaude

I've Been Here Awhile

I tried and follow all the steps with no success.  iMessaging option to use a phone number is still not available, meaning still shows " Waiting for activation", circle is spinning next to the number and only Apple ID is checked as available.  I left it to spin over night.

Now, interesting thing happened. My kid's iPhone which is also on the same plan and same type of iPhone actually, again, allows iMessaging using Apple ID and cell phone number. I didnothing different to it but that number was always on Rogers.

I've Been Here Awhile

I am not sure what happened and who did what, but when suddenly this morning both options are working.

Apple ID and cell phone number are checked as options and now I can use iMessaging with either one. I do use

only my number for iMessaging.

Did Rogers or Apple changed something on my cell phone number I will never know. My issue has been finally

resolved.

That's terrific news @jevd!

We're glad to know it's resolved Smiley Very Happy

Thank you for taking the time to share this information with us.

Have a nice day!

RogersMaude

I'm Here A Lot

Darn it! I was really hoping there was a solution because my phone is experiencing the exact same things as you explained and I have tried all of the things suggested and more and it is still doing the waiting circle and only allows emails for iMessage. 

I am traveling, so have not wanted to turn on my data over night. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. 

Help! 

I recently was informed by Apple that I need to reset my Apple ID, due to a security breach. 

After resetting my Apple ID, when I went back to my phone to use iMessage, I noticed that it would only let me use the email address and not my phone number to send iMessages. 

Currently, I am traveling so have been using my phone on Wifi only, so as not to incur roaming charges. 

What happened? Why is iMessage disabled? 

I have tried all of the solutions I've encountered on here: 

-reset network settings (now I have no saved passwords for anything and the same problem still)

-airplane mode and a combo of turning iMessage/FaceTime on and off

-signing out of Apple ID, restarting phone, entering Apple ID again etc etc...still spinning

Apple says this is a Rogers problem and Rogers support has said this is an Apple problem. 

I'm hoping someone here has an idea of what is happening! I use my phone number only for iMessaging and everybody who contacts me uses the phone number!! 

Please help! 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Bellissa try to deregister, wait 10 mins then register again

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Bellissa

Hmm this seems to be a issue tied with your Apple ID. Have you tried to derigester your iMessage account and then register it again?

Follow the steps on the link and see if that helps!

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

EDIT - I didn't realize that gp-se said the same!