iMessage Question

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

iMessage Question

My wife is looking at switching her current BlackBerry Bold 9700 to an iPhone - I had one question forwhich I am seeing contrdictory answers, so I wanted to see what the truth is!  iMessage - is it free (outside of data charges) between iOS devices on the Rogers network?  I have seen people saying they got charged for MMS messages - I'd just like to know before she gets it what the truth is.  Several of our friends have iPhones running iOS5 - I want to make sure she is not going to get charged for sending messages to them via iMessage before she sends a whole bunch!

Thanks,

Brian

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: iMessage Question

To answer your question Rogers does charge you for text even if you are using iMessages. At least thats what happens with my account.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

i think it depends on the version of iOS you have.

i message can send over text if the data is turned off, i think apple wanted it that way.

I Plan to Stick Around

In my case I am running iOS 5.1, the messages go out as iMessages the text bubbles are blue. All my data setting are on.
I've Been Around

My son is using imessage on his iphone 4, does this use up data from our monthly shared data plan?

Johnson

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello bigbad_john

Yes it does. IMessage allows you to send unlimited text, photos, videos, locations, and contacts using Wi-Fi or cellular data. So thus it will pull data from your shared plan unless you use WiFi and not data. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to expand on it

If you are not sending any pictures, video, or the like through it, just text..

You are looking at 2-10k kb for an average text size message. 

So 100 messages, would be 1mb of usage?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Gdkitty

That is correct. Let's put it this way, if each message takes up 1K (and it's probably much less than that on average), and you send or receive 1 message every minute you're awake (16 hours a day) for a whole month, you'd use 29 MB for those 28,800 messages, or less than 15% of even the smallest 200 MB data plan.

Yes, pictures are going to use more data. You could send 1,000 (about 33 per day) 100K picture messages (again, that's on the large size, most .jpg pics will be smaller) and only use 100 MB, or 50% of your 200 MB data plan.

Now if you're sending 30,000 text messages or 1,000 picture messages, it seems pretty obvious you aren't a good candidate for the "light user" 200 MB data plan anyway. Most people are going to have a 2 GB data limit. Under that, you could send your 30,000 text messages and your 1,000 picture messages and only use about 6.5% of your 2 GB data limit.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hello Bwgreen

In order to answer the question, I'll have to clarify a few details for easier understanding and make sure that no information is left out.

When it comes to the messaging system, there are two types, SMS and MMS.  SMS is basic text message only while MMS is multimedia messages such as picture or video messaging.

Imessage is like BBM in the fact that is uses data only. This would almost be the equivilent of sending messages over Facebook and does not apply to SMS or MMS.

When sending messages to non Imessage users or non Apple devices (incapable of Imessage), the system is designed to default back to the basic SMS and MMS system. This is where those types of charges can come from. It is more than likely that either the format in which the message was sent, or the individual it was sent to, caused the picture or video that was sent to be done so over the SMS and MMS system and would have created a charge is MMS was not included in their basci plan. Hopefully this gives you a bit more peace of mind for yourself and any other Imessage users.