Wifi Calling

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Wifi Calling

Rogers controls the lock and unlock through Apple via carrier settings

Rogers does not control any software on the iPhone other than the carrier settings.

My unlocked 6Plus worked fine for most part

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @nyk0n

Any unlocked devices get software updates by the carriers as well. I have had many unlocked iPhones to know this. So the software carriers that get pushed out lock this feature. As i said many had this issue, go look back on the iPhone 6S reservation thread near the end, u will see i. T
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So basically even though Rogers does control the carrier settings files they now look and see if it's a locked phone or not and send a specific carrier settings to locked (to Rogers) enabling wifi calling and a different one to unlocked phone purchased directly from Apple

If this is the case then that might be a good reason for a lawsuit.

Rogers should not be cherry picking capable models of iPhones for features they support on whether or not it was purchased from Rogers or directly from Apple. That is anti competitive.

As there is no difference in the hardware that supports wifi calling, VoLTE and the fundamental operating system and it's support for the features between iPhones from Apple and from Rogers, sounds like Rogers is purposely locking out Apple Devices not bought through them.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @nyk0n

If Apple allows it which is seems like it is, a lawsuit will fail as no where does it state that a carrier can not adjust anything from a unlocked device or lock their own software / network from working on a unlocked device.

Carriers around the world are known to do this. Is it right? No but they are allowed to. Look at Android for example. VVM that Apple has, Android has but Rogers has blocked it because they want their own to be used. If manufactures are okay with it, no one can do anything unfortunately.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Huge difference between android and iOS in terms of Visual voicemail

iOS has had it baked in since inception of iPhone. Androids was an app you downloaded

Android is also open source and heavily modified from manufacturer to manufacture and from carrier to carrier

This is why you will always be lucky buying a non pure android like Nexus to get one to two android updates if any.

iOS is 100% controller and deployed by Apple through its CDN to other CDN's via partnerships.

Carrier settings is a file controlled by carriers to pick and choose features on their network allowed or disallowed for a particular model of phone.

I can totally understand restricting new features like VoLTE to certain models (like 6S/6S+ to slowly stress test the network (even though 6/6+ supported it, it never launched)

But to restrict and Apple Purchased iPhone 7 and allow a Rogers purchased iPhone 7 which by all account software and hardware wise are identical, is actually kind of dirty and should not be allowed.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to clarify:

-All iPhones have their software/firmware come directly from apple servers. Rogers has no control over this. 

-Carrier Settings also come from Apple Servers, however Apple and Rogers communicate on what settings are enabled/frequiences, etc. But it's still pushed by Apple Servers to all iPhones (locked or unlocked)

So if you have two iPhones, one bought from a Apple Store unlocked, and one purchased from a Roger store locked/on contract, both have identical software/firmware and identical carrier setting files. Rogers blocks WiFi calling and VoLTE using the IMEI of the phone on the Rogers Side of the network. 

The best way to get WiFi calling and VoLTE is to call Rogers and ask them to update your IMEI number on their account settings page, make sure they have the latest IMEI info for your current phone. Also on your WiFi Router make sure all VPN traffic is enabled, VoLTE/WiFi calling uses VPN to communicate to Rogers.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Awesome good to know. I was pretty darn sure they shouldn't be blocking it specifically because it was purchased from Apple.
I'm Here A Lot

@MikePagz, have you been able to activate Wi-Fi calling on your Apple factory unlocked iPhone 7 Plus? I seem to be having the same problem 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Apparently the fix for this is to call Rogers and convince them to put the IMEI number on your phone in their database
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@nyk0n I called Tech Support, they added the IMEI number, but still no luck. My Wifi Calling turns on, but does show "Rogers Wi-Fi"