cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Calling /Wifi Assist

Hmm
I'm an enthusiast

Wifi-assist is buggy.

At first, wifi-assist worked perfectly. If you left wifi on, it would connect to the wifi signal seamlessly even though you were not in Airplane mode.

Lately, however, it's not working as it should. It occasionally connects normally, but most times it does not. However, it works just fine if you are in Airplane mode and landline calls go through just fine.

Is this a device or network issue?

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Wifi Calling /Wifi Assist

RogersMaude

Good evening @Hmm,

Thanks for your post!

With Wi-Fi Assist, you can stay connected to the Internet even if you have a poor Wi-Fi connection.

For example, if you're using Safari with a poor Wi-Fi connection and a webpage doesn't load, Wi-Fi Assist will activate and automatically switch to cellular so that the webpage continues to load. 

When Wi-Fi Assist is activated, you'll see the cellular data icon in the status bar on your device.

Because you'll stay connected to the Internet over cellular network when you have a poor Wi-Fi connection, it might cause issues with Wi-Fi calling, since that requires a Wi-Fi connection to operate.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RogersMaude

Good evening @Hmm,

Thanks for your post!

With Wi-Fi Assist, you can stay connected to the Internet even if you have a poor Wi-Fi connection.

For example, if you're using Safari with a poor Wi-Fi connection and a webpage doesn't load, Wi-Fi Assist will activate and automatically switch to cellular so that the webpage continues to load. 

When Wi-Fi Assist is activated, you'll see the cellular data icon in the status bar on your device.

Because you'll stay connected to the Internet over cellular network when you have a poor Wi-Fi connection, it might cause issues with Wi-Fi calling, since that requires a Wi-Fi connection to operate.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

Hmm
I'm an enthusiast

Wi-Fi Calling is still buggy after all these years During the last 4+ years, I've been bouncing around from carrier to carrier looking for the least gouging plans and rates thanks to the CRTC/Feds having such a cozy relationship with the Big 3.

I was with Cantel (now Rogers) since the very beginning until a few months after I made my initial post. I've been dealing with Rogers tech support and their engineers on the Wi-Fi calling issues at the time, but they could not resolve them. 

I can now say without a doubt, Rogers Wi-Fi is just as buggy as ever.  Even with the same device connected to different access points, the issue remains where calls don't come through, text messages don't arrive, Wi-Fi calling disconnects randomly, and missed SMS come back once you disable Airplane Mode . Yes children, Wi-Fi calling is supposed to work when in Airplane mode (enabled) after you toggle Wi-Fi on.  Accessing the same APs with different carriers eg. Telus, Shaw/Freedom, and Bell result in zero issues with Wi-Fi calling or even Wi-Fi Assist when using their network.

There once was a time when Rogers Wireless, formerly Rogers AT&T, Rogers Cantel, Cantel AT&T, and Cantel was the leader in cellular tech in Canada.

After the passing of Ted Rogers in 2008, Rogers is now barely a follower. I and others have experienced terrible networks speeds, congestion which includes saturated cell sites and channels. With the launch of 5G, Rogers is still far, far behind with their network speeds than other providers where they do have coverage. 

The only thing that stands out about Rogers is their customer service (not online or via this medium) and call centres. They are the best in Canada's Teleco industry. That not necessarily as strong as a compliment as it may sound. The other providers have overseas call centres and trying to explain yourself to them is like pulling teeth. Aside from that, everything is subpar in my opinion with Rogers, especially their flanker brands like Fido and Chatr.

Looks like my stay with Rogers will once again be cut short. 

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation