WiFi Calling with IOS 8

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: WiFi Calling with IOS 8

Hello djnewb

Unfortunately there is no news at this time from Rogers. They said they will enable it when IOS8 comes out but nothing after that.

I've Been Around

Hi,

Any idea when Iphone will launch wifi Calling (UMA) feature on iOS8 and roger will support that in iphone 6.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

so..? clearly not by 2014 let alone when ios 8 launched, huh rogers? is 2024 a decent guess? since u refuse to speak about something u went PUBLIC about.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello inferno129

Agreed at this point everyone is taking what Rogers said about WiFi Calling with grain of salt. I was really happy to own the 6 Plus & use WiFi calling on it but after a few months of not being able too because Rogers decided NOT to say anything about it i was not too happy to say the least. They made a public statement about it months ago & have not delivered anything else about it since.
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm on the verge of moving to another provider for my 2 cell phone lines.
Within last year, I have logged 2 technical tickets with Rogers due to poor cell phone reception in my house.

Potential WiFi calling capability with latest iPhones is the only thing that kept me with Rogers, hoping it would help with calls being dropped.

Announcement was:

"We’ll support the iOS 8 Wi-Fi calling feature when it becomes available in Canada.."

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/06/03/rogers-wireless-becomes-second-carrier-to-confirm-ios-8-wi...

Now, 3 months passed by since iOS 8 release, and we are still waiting..

Dropped calls are extremely annoying, and I just hope somebody at Rogers would come out and give us a more concrete update rather than just "stay tuned". How much more?

I'm an Advisor

hockeyt:

By any change, do you have Rogers One Number? It works on Wi-Fi. I've tried it on my old IPhone 4S and it seems to work OK. Normally, I just use RON on my computer and not my iPhone.

I've Been Here Awhile

Yes, I've tried it a couple of times and it's not very seamless. There are delays when you open the app and for some reason the quality is inferior, even though my Internet is good. Ookla shows 35Mbit/s downstream and 10 up.

My expectation wifi calling would offer better quality.

I'm an Advisor

hockeyt:

I've tried it a few times, but have also noticed the poor quality. I usually get a bar across the screen near the top saying there are network issues or words to that effect. I have the Hybrid 150 package with an ASUS router and get download speeds on my old iPhone 4S up to 48mbps, so there's certainly nothing wrong with my Wi-Fi.

I've Been Here Awhile

so, I guess we don't expect any answers from Rogers on these forums?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello hockeyt

Unfortunately the forums are user to user help forums. Hopefully we do get a answer on this topic tho.