WiFi Calling with IOS 8

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Advisor

Re: WiFi Calling with IOS 8

mmontano:

It's strange than RON mobile isn't working for everyone. I had trouble briefly when I first installed it, but it's working fine for me on my iPhone and I can use Wi-Fi for calls.

I Plan to Stick Around

Are you using the Rogers One Number iPhone app v3.0.6? (From August 28th, 2014) -- (The iPad version released on the same day with the same version number still works, but still doesn't permit the advertised 'login in at the same time as your computer' feature.)

Every review (except two) since then (45+ and counting) are all complaining about the same thing. Can't login.

Don't update.

And unlike other iOS app vendors who quickly update the description to indicate a problem, or provide an update -- none of that has occurred. As Canada's largest telecom, with one of their premier wireless product offerings on the #1 phone platform, it's sad.

(This is before the WiFi on iOS 8 situation.)

I'm so very tempted to discontinue my four Rogers Wireless accounts and four lines and get four TMobile (USA) accounts which include Global unlimited data roaming, WiFi calling that works and pay $0.20/minute to call virtually anywhere in the world. It would actually be cheaper.

I'm an Advisor

My RON mobile app is 3.0.6. My purchase date is Sept. 3, 2014 and there's a modified date of Sept. 15, 2014. Don't know what that means, but it must have been me updating some info.

I Plan to Stick Around

Don't logout.

You are probably lucky as most of us have RON always logging you out when your computer or iPad logs in.

The best part of the bug is that when you do attempt to login it says "Let's see if you qualify" upon where you enter your ten digit phone number. Then: "We'd like to thank you for your interest, however, your existing wireless number does not qualify for one of the following reasons" and one of the error messages is (paraphrasing) 'you aren't a Rogers subscriber."

I'm bored of calling to find out more/resolve/complain. Takes too long. I just use my TMobile phone number.

I'm an Advisor

I have RON running at the same time on my Windows 8.1 64 bit computer with IE 11 and iPhone and it doesn't log me out. That was a change in the latest mobile release. Don't know what's so special about my set up, but it's always worked other than a glitch getting started when I first installed it. My iPhone is a 4S running iOS 7.1.2, so maybe that's a factor, but I doubt it. I won't be jumping into iOS 8 until there's some compelling reason. The reviews right now for iOS 8 on the 4S are not good.

I Plan to Stick Around

RON was broken before iOS 8 last week.

RON also had problems that if you put your Mac to sleep and change networks (like go from home to the office), it thinks that it is logged in twice and actually logs you out thinking you are logged in somewhere else. Silly.

In retrospect and tie in to the subject of this thread. The historical performance of Rogers and their wireless services, such as RON, I guess should have tempered my expectations re: iOS 8 and WiFi calling. 

Sigh.

I'm Here A Lot

Spoke Rogers support. 

1) RON being broken on iOS is a known issue and they said they would release an update in "early Octorber to fix this".

2) When I ask about Wifi Calling on iOS 8 they said "They do not have a relase date, no estimate and are still testing".

I've Been Around

Back in June Rogers stated the following......Rogers said, “We’ll support the iOS 8 Wi-Fi calling feature when it becomes available in Canada. In the meantime, Rogers customers using the Rogers One Number service on their computer, tablet or smartphone can already make calls over Wi-Fi. They can video chat with other Rogers One Number users or call any Canadian number for free, no matter where they are. For more info on Rogers One Number http://Rogers.com/OneNumber.”

Nevertheless, here we are we the new iphone 6 on Rogers and it isn't supported.  Just got off the phone with Rogers...they said call Apple....talked to Apple, they said it is Rogers who hasn't started supporting it yet.

Great customer experience... don't recomment wasting your time talking to Rogers about this one

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm not sure if it's through wifi or cellular, but I just discovered that you can make and receive phone calls using FaceTime on iPad if you have an iPhone on the same wifi network.
I've Been Here Awhile

not just facetime calls but any phonecall now