WiFi Calling with IOS 8

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

Re: WiFi Calling with IOS 8

Lol at that response, made my laugh for the day.

I personally can see where Rogers is coming from re wifi calling being chargeable. When you make a call over the HSPA+/VoLTE network, you are using the tower to leverage what is theoretically an internet connection to Rogers' backend, which then routes the call and completes it. When you use wi-fi calling, your wi-fi connection is simply replacing the tower. You still have to leverage Rogers' backend systems to route and complete your call. So it isn't "totally free" for Rogers to provide the service. It still costs them money when you use their backend.

The reason RON probably didn't use minutes up was probably because they knew how much it actually sucked, whereas wi-fi calling is an easier, better integrated way of doing it. RON is also a poorly-done VOIP service, whereas wi-fi calling is of similar or better quality of sound to the cell towers. So better service = higher price point.

To solve the issue you could always switch to a plan with unlimited minutes. The pricing isn't that horrible if you ask to speak to client care/retentions, and with roam like home to sweeten the pot vs older grandfathered plans, it just might be worth it.
Cheers 🙂

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us @jackthecompguySmiley Wink

Hello again @codemonk,

It would be my pleasure to reach out to you via Private Message.

We could look into your account and see if we would have the chance to offer you a price plan with unlimited airtime.

I would obviously do everything I possibly can to either keep your pricing the same or try to lower it.

Let me know!

RogersMaude

I'm a Regular

Has anyone tried updating from iOS 9.0 public release with the correct carrier update for Wi-Fi calling, to the 9.1 Public Beta?
I Plan to Stick Around

regardless to how you connect to the call you are making/getting ultimately that call is being routed through Rogers phone network and thus they are still billed for connecting calls to the party you are speaking with.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm running iOS 9.1 public beta on a 6+ (updated from all the previous Dev 9.0 Betas and running Rogers 21.1.5 as carrier settings) and Wifi Calling is working...as long as Rogers One Number is not activated on your account. My phone is actually on Wifi Rogers right now at work where I have only 2 bars of Rogers LTE coverage it seems to grab on automatically when it dips below 3 bars...the call quality is insane!  i could hear my wife breathing and little things in the background that no cell call ever could before. I cant wait for VoLTE to come to iPhone now. I know it can support it with a carrier update. any update on that Rogers? i see the original LG phone is now at home on VoLTE with a bunch of Samsung phones now

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats