WiFi Calling with IOS 8

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: WiFi Calling with IOS 8

This is part of the new coherence feature - it is NOT WiFi calling.

1. You could always use Facetime over WiFi directly from an iPad, and even set up the iPad to receive Facetime calls using your iPhone's number (it is used as an identifier, not for the connection)
  2. With iOS 8 you can initiate a voice call from your iPad or Mac to a landline number through your iPhone.  This uses the iPhone's cellular connection, using your voice minutes / long distance charges, etc.  
  3. WiFi calling uses your WiFi for voice connections instead of your cellular voice or data plan, typically for a much reduced or zero cost. Another important part is that if you move out of WiFi range while on a call, the connection automatically hands off to the cellular network without dropping the call.

RON may be able to do some of what WiFi calling can, but when it is a separate app there is no way it can be as seamlessly integrated or reliable.

I Plan to Stick Around

Update. It appears that they have fixed Rogers OneNumber -- in terms that the iPhone app can now login again.

Though, in standard Rogers fashion for the 911 address (which I had to re-enter):

1) It won't accept a US address. Isn't the POINT of Rogers OneNumber to continue to use your Rogers # and service without being in a Rogers Wireless coverage area. Like in the US where I am right now.

1) So I entered my home address but it won't accept my 911 address where the street name is a number: i.e. '198th Street'. I had to spell it "One ninety eigth street" -- Once again, standard Rogers Toronto-centric and poorly tested.

-- and even more stupidly (i.e. lack of testing), I then received a notification that my account changed -- indicating that I had signed up for Rogers One Number. Though I've been using it for several years.

Of course I don't expect WiFi Calling with iOS8 to work when I get back to Canada tomorrow. 

But WiFi calling is working perfectly with my TMobile service though! (The service indicator says "TMobile Wi-Fi" when the standard cell signal is insufficient and a connect can be made via WiFi.)

I'm a Reliable Contributor

no still no wifi calling with ios 8.0.2, still rogers 17.0 carrier

(of coarse..the big tough companies blurt out everything to public, then do it years after they specified, ALWAYS)
I'm Here A Lot

not sure why this isn't available as they offered it with the Blackberry???

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello inferno129

Only one carrier in the US has it which is T-Mobile. No one else.. So it seems to me that its something that the carriers & Apple need to work on.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

at&t said "in 2015", sprint raised an eyebrow & said "maybe", verizon didnt respond

but still rogers 17.0 carrier in ios 8.1 beta 1 & no wifi calling
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello inferno129

Yeah so it's not only Rogers. It seems like Apple only wants a specific carrier to test it before others get it from what i have heard and looks like. We shall see what happens.
I Plan to Stick Around

It's not like wifi calling is exotic. It is a standard protocol for routing 'cellular' packets over a wifi connection. It's apparently implemented and offered by rogers on other phones today.

I've been using TMobile's wifi calling for a couple weeks. It works great.

But for rogers it is another example of spending more on marketing than implementation.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello inferno129

Only one carrier in the US has it which is T-Mobile. No one else.. So it seems to me that its something that the carriers & Apple need to work on.

Let's not pretend this is an Apple issue: T-Mobile announced they would have it on day one, as did Rogers.  The other carriers did not commit to a roll out.  This isn't surprising, since there is no upside for the carrier unless the user is on an unlimited plan already.

There'd be a lot more press about this if there were any fuctional issues preventing a roll-out on the other carriers.  Further, Rogers would be griping about Apple if it were an Apple issue.  I'm just trying to figure out why Rogers would make the bold announcement if they weren't already prepared to deliver.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Jeffp

I never said it's a Apple issue.. I SAID Apple and the carriers need to work on. It could be that they both need to work on in. I agree Rogers shouldn't have made a bold statement if they weren't prepared to roll u it out at a launch. I too am wondering why and what is going on as u would want to use WiFi calling