WiFi Calling with IOS 8

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

WiFi Calling with IOS 8

With rogers being on record that they will support wifi calling in ios 8, and with the GM now available, when should we be expecting a carrier update to enable it?

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I've Been Around

Re: WiFi Calling with IOS 8

Currenty the only company to enable WiFi calling for iOS 8 is T-Mobile. I was wondering if Rogers has any plan to enable this for iOS 8 devices as it's something that is done carrier side.

Thanks.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Bodom_

Unfortunately at this moment Rogers hasn't said if they will or will not. I am sure they will once IOS8 is fully out or when the new iPhone will come out. Stay tuned for more information when the time comes.

I am sure it will tho. Just give it time for them to announce it if they plan to enable it.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello ximofo

Most likely after the iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Plus will be released which is Next Friday. OR they could open it up after IOS 8 gets reelased.

Although i am hearing mixed dates but it should be between then as its baked into the OS & should work.
I Plan to Stick Around

is wifi calling like what i used to have when i had blackberries, it uses the house wifi network to ingest my call into rogers instead of cell? 

if so, i really missed that when i switched over to iphone (from blackberry), my house is in a rogers cell dead zone

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello graystone14

Its exactly the same thing. I still have the Rogers modem with both WiFi antennas ( Blue one from Cisco) which does WiFi calling.
I Plan to Stick Around

i dont recall needing a special modem from rogers, as long as my blackberry was on any wifi network, it worked.

or did you need a special modem/router?

Rogers Employee dannyboi104
Rogers Employee

Hey Graystone14! When Apple first announced WiFi calling at the unveiling of IOS 8 at WWDC 2014 Rogers said, "We’ll support the iOS 8 Wi-Fi calling feature when it becomes available in Canada. In the meantime, Rogers customers using the Rogers One Number service on their computer, tablet or smartphone can already make calls over Wi-Fi." It's not an exact date, but I'm sure we'll hear more once iOS 8 becomes availible on the 17th. The wifi calling with your blackberry is simliar to the Rogers One Number, which ealier requied an adapter.
I'm an Advisor

I have Rogers One Number and an iPhone 4S. I've tried calling over Wi-Fi a few times and find it very finicky. When I initiate a call, I get a bar near the top of the screen complaining about signal quality. People I've called also say the signal is breaking up. I have perfect Wi-Fi and my router is no more than a few feet from my phone. I use Wi-Fi all the time for everything else on my phone with absolutely no issues. I get consistent download speeds in the 25mbps range. I have no idea why calling over Wi-Fi isn't working properly. When iOS 8 comes out, I'll try Wi-Fi calling again without using RON.

Rogers Employee dannyboi104
Rogers Employee

I'm assuming for now that Wifi Calling for iOS 8 will be using difference protocols, ei, no Rogers My Account sign in needed. I've also had troubles myself using Rogers One Number on my iPhone while Traveling outside of Canada. Mainly minor issues for call quality. However, using One Number on my PC or Mac works great.