WiFi Calling Handoff

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

WiFi Calling Handoff

Rogers, PLEASE enable/implement handoff with WiFi calling.

While I appreciate that you've finally launched this service it would be nice if it was implemented properly to allow a seamless handoff to the cellular network if you go outside of the range of the wireless network.

I feel like if I can be on a FaceTime audio call on WiFi and walk out of my house and have it handoff between two different networks then you should be able to do this properly.

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: WiFi Calling Handoff

Hello @xeronine

Seamless handover was launched yesterday to all Wi-Fi Calling eligible devices.

What is Seamless Handover?

• When using Wi-Fi calling in Canada you will be able to move between a Wi-Fi connection and the Rogers/Fido LTE network (and vice versa) without dropping your calls.

Eligibility?

• Existing Rogers (Business and Consumer) and Fido customers with an iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus who have enabled Wi-Fi Calling
  • New Rogers (Business and Consumer) and Fido customers with an iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus who meet the eligibility requirements and activate Wi-Fi Calling

How Do I Enable Seamless Handover?

• If you have already enabled Wi-Fi Calling, gaining access to the new updates is easy – simply, toggle the Wi-Fi Calling feature on your device “off” and then “on” again. 
  • If you're activating Wi-Fi Calling today and onwards: once you complete the Wi-Fi Calling setup process, VoLTE and Seamless Handover will be automatic.

RogersDarrell

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @xeronine

Seamless handover was launched yesterday to all Wi-Fi Calling eligible devices.

What is Seamless Handover?

• When using Wi-Fi calling in Canada you will be able to move between a Wi-Fi connection and the Rogers/Fido LTE network (and vice versa) without dropping your calls.

Eligibility?

• Existing Rogers (Business and Consumer) and Fido customers with an iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus who have enabled Wi-Fi Calling
  • New Rogers (Business and Consumer) and Fido customers with an iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus who meet the eligibility requirements and activate Wi-Fi Calling

How Do I Enable Seamless Handover?

• If you have already enabled Wi-Fi Calling, gaining access to the new updates is easy – simply, toggle the Wi-Fi Calling feature on your device “off” and then “on” again. 
  • If you're activating Wi-Fi Calling today and onwards: once you complete the Wi-Fi Calling setup process, VoLTE and Seamless Handover will be automatic.

RogersDarrell

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So wait, VoLTE and seamless handoff work, but only on the 6s?

That doesn't make any sense..  The 6 works with VoLTE elsewhere so why limit it to 6s only?

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Seamless handoff is only enabled between VoLTE and WiFi calling.

Currently, the only iOS VoLTE devices are the 6S/6S Plus. But stay tuned.

RogersDarrell

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Feature is awesome. Used my iPad for calls last night and had my iPhone off.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

How is a call billed with seamless handoff if it switches from Wifi calling to VoLTE?

For example, if I'm travelling in Toronto and I call back home in Vancouver with Wifi Calling, there are currently no long distance charges.

What happens if it handsoff back to cellular? Will there be long distance charges if the plan I have is only province wide calling?

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @yvatr

WiFi calling and VoLTE would be billed the same way depending on your plan.

See this excerpt from this link.

Does Wi-Fi Calling use data from my wireless plan?

No, Wi-Fi Calling does not use up data from your wireless data plan. When you make a call over Wi-Fi, you will be consuming data over the Wi-Fi connection instead. Internet service charges and overage rates (if applicable) may apply in accordance with your internet service provider.

To give you a sense of how much data is used, a one-hour Wi-Fi voice call will consume approximately 75MB of data through a Wi-Fi connection.

How is Wi-Fi Calling billed when I am in Canada?

Incoming calls and text messages received over Wi-Fi Calling while in Canada will be deducted from the airtime and messaging limits associated with your wireless plan.

Outgoing calls and text messages sent over Wi-Fi Calling while in Canada will be billed as follows:

• Calls/texts to Canadian numbers will be deducted from the airtime and messaging limits associated with your wireless plan, and no long distance charges will apply. If you exceed your monthly plan limits, overage rates and/or current Pay-Per-Use wireless rates will apply.

• Calls/texts to non-Canadian numbers will be billed according to the rates outlined in your wireless plan or current Pay-Per-Use long distance wireless rates.

Please note: You may incur additional long distance charges and/or international text message charges if your VPN, DNS or internet provider is set to a country outside Canada. 

@RogersPrasana