Use of wifi vs. cell data

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Use of wifi vs. cell data

In public access wifi locations, my iPhone 5 throws up a sign-in page. I fill it in & give it an OK. When I access my email or the web, my phone indicates it's on wifi but showed the "loading" symbol for way too long. I have found it's easier & faster to turn wifi off completely & use cell data. Why? Why do I have to fight with Tim Hortons wifi to get my phone to connect with wifi, not cell? Sometimes it looks as if wifi & cell are stuck in an endless loop, one against the other, to load the data. If I'm on wifi, why doesn't the cell data option quit? Irritating.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Use of wifi vs. cell data

Hello @Nora

Unfortunately that's how they do their WiFi sign in page. They use Bell so you would need to contact Bell and or Tim Hortons about this issue, not Rogers.

It does quite once WiFi has actually started working. The cellular mode will still be active until WiFi kicks in. If WiFi doesn't kick in, your going to be using cellular data then. Again you need to contact your local Tim Hortons about this as they use Bell Canada as their WiFi and Internet Provider.

Your iPhone is fine and doesn't need any adjustments or anything. It's the WiFi system causing it.
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks! I was afraid it was some obscure parameter I either set or uset. It's not only Timmies, it's the big food courts as well. I guess wherever Bell is the provider, I'll have to play one free wifi against another, to get the sign-in page from at least one of 'm.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Nora

Most do this due to the limits they also have. It all depends on the provider they have & whatnot.