Use existing SIM card on new unlocked iPhone ?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Use existing SIM card on new unlocked iPhone ?

I just recieved my new unlocked iPhone 6 plus shipped direct from the factory.  Yay!

Can I simply take my sim card from my current iPhone 5 (previously purchased unlocked as well) and pop it in the new iPhone 6?

Is there anything I have to do that requires me to contact Rogers and let them know I changed/am changing phones first?

I am not currently under/committed to any contract with Rogers.

Thanks in advance for any help.

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Use existing SIM card on new unlocked iPhone?

yep, pop it in, thats all, you dont need to contact rogers for anything

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello MitchNewbie

Yes you can! They both use a nano sim card. You won't lose anything other then anything u have on ur iPhone 5. Your plan will stay the same and won't be touched or anything else. So pop that sim card into ur new iPhone 6 and start enjoying it!!

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks Guys!

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello MitchNewbie

You are welcome!! 🙂

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm wanting to do the same (putting it in an iPhone6). But was wondering whether it affects my current contract which does not expire until September? Then if I want to adjust my plan is it better to wait until the end of my contract or when I switch the sim into the new phone?

I've Been Here Awhile

It did not affect my particular contract when I switched phones from 5 to 6+....or from my previous 4S to the 5 before that....

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @myrtataryn

Yes u can add ur sim card to any device u like and it will NOT affect your contact at all. So enjoy your iPhone6 with ur current contract and whenever u want to change the plan or anything, just call in and see what can happen!

Adding your sim card to a new phone or old phone has nothing to do with ur plan or contract.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks.

I've Been Around

I am completely ignorant about all things technological....

My situation is I currently have an iphone 5s.  I was just informed that an iphone 6s has been purchased for me as a gift.  

The iphone 6s was purchased directly thru Apple and I will be receiving it via mail.  What do I need to do once I receive this new phone to have it become my usuable phone?  I know to do a backup on itunes from my existing phone and then I can transfer that to a new phone.  Do I simply then take the sim card out of my 5s and put it in the new phone?  Or will the new phone come with a sim card that I need to then register with Rogers?  

Also, is there something I need to be concerned about with respect to an "unlocked" phone?  When I look at the Apple site, it says the new iphone 6s is unlocked and ensure it is compatiable with your carrier.

Help.....I have no idea how this all works 🙂