Upgrading iPhone, can I give my old one to a friend?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Upgrading iPhone, can I give my old one to a friend?

I am just in the process of upgrading my iphone 4 to a 6...but thought maybe instead of just storing my old phone in a drawer for nothing, I could give it to a friend

what do I need to besides backup and reset to factory settings etc

as in with the sim card

and what does she have to do to activate same into her name

we are not tech savvy

step by step would be great lol

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Highlighted
Retired Moderator RogersShakir
Retired Moderator

Re: Upgrading iPhone, can I give my old one to a friend?

Hello @Gilloo

When you do a back up for your old iPhone 4, you can restore that on your new iPhone 6. Once you have tested your new iPhone 6 and confirmed everything is back on it. You can have your iPhone 4 reset to factory settings and give it to your friend.

Here are the instructions directly from Apple website:

Follow these steps:

1. If you paired an Apple Watch with your iPhone, unpair your Apple Watch.
  2. Back up your iOS device.
  3. Tap Settings > iCloud. Scroll down and tap Sign Out. In iOS 7 or earlier, tap Delete Account.
  4. Tap Sign Out again, then tap Delete from My iPhone and enter your password. 
  5. Go back to Settings and tap General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. If you turned on Find My iPhone, you might need to enter your Apple ID and password.
  6. If asked for your device passcode or Restrictions passcode, enter it. Then tap Erase [device].

For further details and other processes please refer to the Apple support website found here.

If your friend is going to be using it on the Rogers' network then she will need to user her own sim card. If not, than the phone will need to be unlocked.

Cheers,

RogersShakir

Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

Re: Upgrading iPhone, can I give my old one to a friend?

Honestly there isn't much else to be done. If she will be activating the phone in her name under a ROGERS account, then she just needs to get a SIM card. Once she has your phone she needs to activate the SIM card with your phone, go through the standard credit evaluation, etc, and that is it.