Unusual High Data Usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Unusual High Data Usage

I had a ZTE Rogers Hub and would burn a gig a day?? Now I have same ZTE hub new sim card on another provider everything is the same on my home network and my day data usage is not near what it was with Rogers??? Are they charging just to be connected to the network?

I've Been Around

Does whatsapp use a lot of data ?

Hello, @Betty44

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for joining and posting your query in the Community.  There are many factors involved with your Whatsapp data consumption question like how many messages are being exchanged, how many with images and videos etc. Also when you forward a message with a picture or video to a group, depending on the size of the group that single message can consume a lot of data.  So it's a little difficult to provide a definitive answer to your question as there are many variables involved. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

I Plan to Stick Around

My iPhone was intermittently racking up huge amounts of data, and was all listed under "System Services" in the Cellular control panel, and in the HotSpot usage stats. What was odd was that I paired the iPhone to my iPad once in a while, and never saw much data usage when this was done. And I thought I was using the Hotspot feature for nothing else.

What I discovered was that if I plugged the iPhone into my Windows 7 PC with Hotspot still enabled, the PC automatically created a new network interface for the PC, and started load balancing between my cable internet and iPhone internet! It appears this is due to both W7 network interfaces (cable modem and iPhone) having the same default routing metric.

As an senior IT guy, this caught me rather off guard. I know Windows server can load balance, but I didn't think regular Windows could without using third party network mods.

So the crux of this story is; make sure you turn off the iPhone Hotspot when connecting it to a PC.

Hello @PointyTail,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

Thank you for your post, I had no idea that having the hotspot on while plugged into your PC would start tethering and using data from your iPhone. That would definitely eat up a tonne of data quickly especially if it was going on for a while.

I'm sure many will find this info useful as no one wants to see data overage fees at the end of the month.

We look forward to your future contributions! Robot Happy

Cheers,

CommunityHelps

RogersTony 

I Plan to Stick Around

Note you will see the top of the iPhone screen turn blue when this happens, as the phone does this to indicate that Hotspot is actively connected to something, which in this case is the PC. It might be possible to stop this behavior by adjusting the routing metrics on the interfaces. I will have to try it. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I suggest someone at Rogers familiar with things like load balancing and routing metrics confirm what I have found. If they concur, you might want to pin this solution somewhere obvious, and make sure your Apple wireless support staff know about it as well. Because if you look at Rogers historical solutions to this issue, it's all mostly wharrgarbl about things like WiFi Assist, which really has little to do with it. lol

I've Been Here Awhile

Ho there,
I just signed on 2 yrs flex tab with iPhone 8 on Nov 23. Had chat to Roger Live chat for help coz my 1GB data plans had finished on Nov 24. Specifically, I was using 1.7 GB at 9.30 am while I usually was sleeping (woke up after 12 pm). Anyone ever has this experince and share to me what’s might have happened on that day ? Thanks for your sharing or comment

Sutikno

I've Been Here Awhile

Btw,

I have a quite strong wifi connection at home

Sutikno

Good day @tikno100,

Thanks for your post & Welcome to the Rogers Community!

I understand your need to know where the transmissions are coming from to prevent charges related to high data usage on future invoices. Several things can have an impact on the data consumption and I most definitely want to help you in understanding how this works, better.

First of all, did you check what it was used for?

To see how much cellular data that you've used, go to Settings, then tap Cellular or Mobile Data. 

To see how much cellular data an app is using, scroll down to find the app. If you don't want an app to use cellular data, you can turn it off for that app. When cellular data is off, apps use Wi-Fi for data.

To see the cellular data usage for individual System Services, go to Settings, then tap Cellular or Mobile Data. Then scroll to the bottom of the screen and tap System Services.

Cellular data can't be turned on or off for individual System Services.

Do you know if you set up your phone while connected to Wi-Fi? The initial configuration might have used up what was included in your plan.

To prevent additional charges, simply text "DATA" to "222" to Top-Up.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude