Unusual High Data Usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Unusual High Data Usage

WE have wi-fi assist but do not stream at all on our iphones
Retired Moderator RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator

Hi @Klynnr

As RogersTony mentioned, Wi-Fi Assist automatically switches from Wi-Fi to data when the Wi-Fi signal is weakened or impaired so that you don't lose any connectivity. This could cause your Data usage to increase on any application that you use that is used on your iOS devices.

You can manage your family's data use using worry-free data management or MyRogers.

RogersPrasana

I've Been Around

I have an inline data recorder, and it has been recording less than half of what rogers says I use. I am done with arrguing with them. 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @AsianTiger

Good luck.. Their system will show the IMEI, Serial number if the device recorded on their system using the usage. Courts will side with them unless u have actual proof of u not passing all ur data and or having usual high data overages. Your third party app and recorded won't show much to them as remember a multi billion dollar company has more information then the app ur using to record things. So. Unfortunately u will be wasting time and money for nothing. Plus it will take months if it a year for the courts to even go through with this case. CRTC should be the way to go if u want to try something.
I've Been Here Awhile

Not helpful or useful.

There is a chronic problem with orders of magnitude extremely high data usage on iphone 6.

You are talking about snippets of data saving

I've Been Here Awhile

The bottom of this post shows that the issue is resolved --- NOT

I Plan to Stick Around

iPhone Cellular Data Usage Doesn't Add Up???

I have an iPhone 6s and for the past 2 months, I've receive notices from Rogers stating that I'm about to go over my data plan limit. This is strange as I rarely go over my limit and nothing has changed from my daily usage habits.

My Rogers billing starts on the 11th day of the month. This period I had decided to track my usage on my iPhone and had reset the statistic under the iPhones Cellular Data Usage page/function.

Again, I'm 6 days into my billing period and it's showing that I have used 626 MB already. This is also confirmed on MyRogers app. Wait what?!!

I then decide to count all of the data from each app from my iPhones Cellular Data Usage page/function, I get 70 MB. That's a 556 MB difference!!!???

Anyone else experiencing this with their iPhone 6s?

Any suggestions / recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Good day @Radar2000,

Thanks for your post!

I totally understand your concerns regarding the data consumption that you're unable to account for.

We want to help you use all the tools at your disposition, in order to ensure that you know you're only using what you need, while connected to your mobile network data transmissions.

First of all, make sure that all of your app updates are set to download only when you're connected to Wi-Fi. Automatic downloads, in iOS, allow apps, to be updated automatically. Although this may seem handy, it can also be problematic because they may use your mobile data without you realizing it.

1. To begin, tap “Settings” on your home screen.

2. On the left side of the “Settings” screen, tap “iTunes & App Store”.

3. Under “iTunes & App Stores” on the right, tap the slider button to the right of “Update”.

NOTE: You can also prevent other apps etc., from automatically downloading by turning off the appropriate slider buttons.

Another thing I want to bring to your attention is the Wi-Fi Assist feature. It allows you to stay connected to the Internet even if you have a poor Wi-Fi connection. Let's say you're using Safari with a poor Wi-Fi connection and a webpage doesn't load, Wi-Fi Assist will activate and automatically switch to cellular so that the webpage continues to load. Because you'll stay connected to the Internet over cellular when you have a poor Wi-Fi connection, you might use more cellular data

Therefore, you need to ensure that the Wi-Fi Assist feature is deactivated in the settings of your phone. To do so:

1. Go to your iPhone settings.

2. Click “Cellular.”

3. Scroll all the way down to the very bottom, and you'll see the “Wi-Fi Assist” feature.

4. Switch the toggle to the “off” position.

Also, feel free to check out post 42 of 57 of this thread for more info. 

Let us know if this helps or if you have any other questions Smiley Wink

RogersMaude

I'm Here A Lot

Last month, I also received a text message from Rogers saying that I busted my data limit. The day before I checked my limit and I had 3gb left. They charged me 30$ extra. That is very strange... 

Hi @alebel76,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums Robot Happy!

What do you typically use your data for? Do you by any chance have Wi-Fi Assist feature turned on? If you do please refer to @RogersMaude's  post #58 in this thread to learn how to turn it off. 

Just as an FYI, to avoid data overages you can always get more data at a nominal cost. For more information please view this post

RogersZia