Unusual High Data Usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Unusual High Data Usage

ihad the same thing happen to me where i had a huge overage for 1 day and they charged me $10 for being over. When i talked to an agent they couldn't tell me anything except i was over..what the heck..I only had 200mb of data..mostly connected to my home wifi when i'm doing searches..i was so frustrated cuz i couldn't get any reason why i got that spike in usage and they wouldn't take it off my bill..so i just bit the bullet...now mind you in 3 years it only happened once so go figure...hopefully you got your problem sorted out..

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @sallyann55,

Welcome to the Community Forums, your feedback to the Community is greatly appreciated, thanks for sharing.  Smiley Happy

I'd also like to add some information you and others might find helpful, below is some tips on how to save or prevent data overages for future reference:

Prevent Data Usage Overage on Apple iPhones

Note: these are just tips to proactively prevent data overage, there are many factors that can contribute to data overage on the iPhone. These settings are general instructions only. This guide was made to provide instructions on as many devices and versions of Apple iOS as possible.

1. Use Wi-Fi where possible.
  2. Download media/video files and apps on the computer, then sync to the device through iTunes.
  3. Limit the use of Mobile Hotspot (sharing your iPhone cellular data connection with other devices).
  4. Turn off Location Services when not in use. This feature is mainly used for GPS/maps, helping to pinpoint your current location.
  5. Turn off app notifications.
    • Tap Settings.
    • Select Notifications.
    • Toggle Notification Off.
  6. Turn off Push Mail.
    • Tap Settings.
    • Select Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
    • Select Fetch New Data.
    • Toggle Push Off.
  7. Manually disable apps from using cellular data. When an app is disabled from cellular data, the app will only be fully functional when connected to Wi-Fi. A prompt will appear stating that cellular data has been disabled for the app.
    • Tap Settings.
    • Select Cellular.
    • Scroll down to the USE CELLULAR DATA FOR section, toggle the apps that you want to disable.
  8. Disable Background App Refresh.
    • Tap Settings.
    • Select General.
    • Select Background App Refresh.
    • Toggle the apps you want to disable.

Note: It’s recommended to monitor your data usage regularly. The following are two methods to monitor usage:

• Rogers My Account App: This app can be downloaded and installed from the Apple app store. The My Account app is recommended because the data usage will automatically reset for each billing cycle. Click here for the latest 3.5.5 updated: Jul 31, 2015.
  • iPhone Usage Calculator: This is a built-in feature to the Apple iOS software. It is required to manually reset the counter at the end of your billing cycle.
    • Tap Settings.
    • Select Cellular.
    • Scroll down to the bottom, and select System Services.
    • The details of your cellular data usage for the billing cycle will be listed.

Hope this helps,

RogersArthur

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I too am having a high usage problem. From when I got a cell from Rogers 2 years ago till a few days ago I can do less than 1/4 of the amount on the Internet that I used to be able to do when I first became a customer. Now in the last 4 days especially there are huge spikes in my data usage. I can't figure out what's going on. I talked to Rogers and they just try telling me that it is my mobile tethering that is using all the data. I can't even think to turn on my hotshot or it uses over a gig of data just for browsing for a few minutes.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I also have had high data usage with a $50.00 surcharge two months age at 3 weeks into my month, and over my limit in 1 1/2 weeks last month. No reason found except maybe Facebook and their auto video on that started a couple of months ago. I cancelled facebook off the phone, and this month have turned the data off completely. Crazy...Rogers was no help. I haven't been over in 8 years and don't do that much on the phone for data usage, so this makes no sense. Almost glad to see others are having the problem, but haven't seen a reason or a good solution yet. No rembursement offered from Rogers and no solution, except to turn data off. Any other ideas? Rogers won't let me add data to my plan so that isn't a solution.

Highlighted

Hi @Marn,

Welcome to the Community!

What do you typically use your data for? Have you noticed any change in usage since you've removed the Facebook app? Also just as an FYI, if you wish to reinstall Facebook App you can check off the AutoVideo within the App Settings to avoid data usage.

RogersZia 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I was using data to send the odd photo to people, to check facebook or my e-mails briefly, (usually at work where there was no free wifi),  and used Google map occasionally. I was always under 300mb. In the end I cancelled my data, did have the auto video off near the end of having a data plan, and will just pick up wifi where I can.  Not the best solution because I really liked Google map and it's nice to have data when out and about.  The spikes just greatly annoyed me. Thankyou for responding. 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I am New in Rogers My old company it was 10 GB plan I only use 6 GB every month I have 2 days data Show 9.32 gb why ? I dont used this much !!!

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @Kurdistani

Welcome to the Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Are you connected to WiFi when available? Has anything changed in how you use your device?

RogersPrasana

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

iPhone Data Usage Issue

We have had issues with data usage on our last billing period and on the current billing period where we reach 90% and still have 14 days remaining. I turned off my cell data and that reduced my usage however the second  phone our share everything plan has used almost 3 times the normal usage in the current billing period. One phone is an iPhone SE and the second is an iPhone 4S. We don't believe we are using as much as Rogers says we are. What is going on?

Highlighted

Hey @Klynnr

Welcome to the Community Forums!

It’s never fun when your Data gets used up within the first half of the month.

iOS devices have a feature called Wi-Fi Assist which automatically switches from Wi-Fi to Data when the Wi-Fi signal is weakened or impaired so you will never have to worry about losing connectivity. It could cause your Data usage to increase especially if it happens while streaming videos over Wi-Fi. Can you confirm if you have the Wi-Fi assist feature enabled on your iOS devices?

RogersTony