Unusual High Data Usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Unusual High Data Usage

The 6GB for $30 was a promotion that ended a long time ago. They only bring that Data package out when iPhone's come out or when some high end smartphone comes out. They also bring it out if lets say Bell or Telus does. They offer 6GB for $60 now if you want.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

hey guys 2 years later from these posts and now this is happening to me.  I've been with Rogers for 2 years and never gone over my data uage until 2 months ago.  1 day into my new cycle I received a text message from Rogers saying I was 80% full.  half hour later got another text message that said I was over.  I work at a software company and am a former developer so now exactly how this stuff works.  I am on wifi at work and at home and rarely surf in my car.  Prior to this happening i would only use around 200MB of data per month.  This is going on for 3 months now and Rogers refuses to reverse my charges.  My last bill was $350 and normally it would be $65.  To cancel my plan would cost me $300 and this is actually cheaper than paying my ball as every month the charges are more and more.  did anybody find a solution to  this?

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

This periodically happen to me as well.  I have developed a series of principles as a result:

1)  Rogers recommed using the My Rogers App to track you usage.  That shoul be your first red flag, consider the course of the advice.  Secondly the app is rarely current.  I dont mean not current to the 4 hour dely it openly admits, but current in terms of days or weeks.  I have had to several battle with Rogers to refund data usage that I used when My Rogers said my data was well under.  3 days later with little to no usuage, the data suddenly caughe up and showed me over.  The texts which are supporsed to warn you, also showed up at %70, %80, and 'you are over' withink minutes of each other.  $%^ing useless app, and company.

2) If you present overages as ones that you didn't no about becase of information you got from them, you will be turned down, period.  Insta-first answer is alway don't give the customer antying.  If you get angry and abusive enough you may win.

3) Call, and contiue calling CSR's until you meet a nice guy who will do it.  They all lie and say that can't do anything.  Don't get mad, just realize they are all liars and persist until you find the one who isn't.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Same problem, same run around, same complete lack of customer service.  A $500 overage charge, HUGE downloads (my previous monthly totals being used in one day) at all hours even after turning off data.  I'm a VERY light data user, as my previous bills prove, just to check e-mails occasionally, have NEVER downloaded any videos, etc.  Only a few aps on my phone, less than 10.  Rogers has been rude, insulting, and COMPLETELY unhelpful.  Been working on this for about 3 hours a day for last 3 days and my phone sits in front of me in pieces because I'm afraid to turn it on.  Is this Rogers' way of sucking money from us without having to explain what it is that we're paying for?  Where is the accountability here?  WHAT CAN WE DO???

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I WAS ADVISED TODAY BY PAY AS YOU GO THAT EVEN PUSH NOTIFICATIONS DEDUCT FROM YOUR DATA USAGES.

I WANT TO FIND A RESOLUTION MYSELF. PLEASE CAN A NICE ROGERS REP HELP ME!! email me at 

i dont even want to begin talking about how futile it is talking to ANYONE WHO WORKS AT ROGERS.

SO IF A NICE HONEST, KNOWS THAT PEOPLE ARE ENTITLED TO WHAT THEY NEED TO KNOW, EXISTS, PLEASE EMAIL ME!!!

thanks!!!!

**edited for content**

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

yes this apparently is correct, the supervisor today told me that i needed to close the apps in the bottom of my iphone or else they will continue to pull data. BS
right???
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No. It's the way the phone works. Anything, that would draw from a data source, uses data. This includes notifications, pulling email, etc. it's fairly common sense. And the iphone and just about any other smart phone has worked this way from day one.

If you don't want things to use data, you need to set things up to do so. Shut down apps as the rep said (when you close and app on an iphone or android, it's still running unless killed). Turn off push notifications. Or even turn off your data alltogether when not in use.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

i have a qUESTION AND HOPEFULLY youc an help me.

My data usage is astronomical, although i havent been using my data,

can you explain why this is happening or if the LTE being slow caused it to use more data?

i woke up one morning and my cell data had gone thru 5 extra G of data

Highlighted
I've Been Around

5 years from original post.  Same problem here.  Still troubleshooting...will try restore.  got to 100% of 6 gig plan in first 4 days of billing cycle.  have not done anything different usually use 2 gigs/month.   Turned data off on phone and reset usage stats.  have been turning on cellular data periodiclaly through the month.   Usage on phone is drastclally lower than indicated on MyRogers.

Cannot tell if this is a rogers problem or a hardware problem.  Using iphone 5.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

bassed off the apps you have on your iphone could be using data in the background or right infront of you with out you knowing it for ex facebook if you have ever had the your news feed and theres a video and it just start to be playing but u didnt click on it its using ur data obviously so at that point you need to go into your setting and turn the background stuff off maybe the way im stating that example may not be 100% correct but i know that it will use ur data and somewhere in ur setting u can turn that feature off  explore ur apps and see whats not really needed that u might be using on your phone data wise delete it and see if it makes a difference hopefully my time and words have help you out