cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusual High Data Usage

tosmoke
I plan to stick around

I have a 6gig plan, and I'm a typical smartphone user....on the top end I use 700mb per month, at the most.  And that's been my average amount (sometimes 650mb) since the iPhone 3G has been out.

Now all of a sudden, bright and early Monday morning (Nov 8), I get the same text message from Rogers saying I'm at 80% of my data usage.  Then an hour later, I get a 100% data usage text message.  I quickly logged on to "My Rogers" web page and check my statistics, I'm currently at 147mb over my 6gig limit.

Then I call Rogers to see what's going on.  I tell the rep (then 7 reps after that), that something is going on between my phone and the Rogers Data Network that I obviously don't have any control over, and they cannot tell me anything other than the data usage, the times it happened, and that my IMEI number matches my account.

This is of little help to me as I didn't do anything unusual between Thursday (when the excessive data usage started - sometimes 2 gigs on one instance) and Monday morning.  I'm a heavy email user, but very few of them have attachments, and the ones that do are perhaps 1mb, 2 at the most.

At that point, I completely turned off my cellular data connection on the phone, and even went as far as to turn the 3G off.  That was Monday morning.  24 hours later, with cellular data turned off, I sign in again to "My Rogers" and notice another 2 gigs of data adding up to my account.  Now I'm 2 gigs over my limit, and have done nothing special or extra-ordinary out of my daily routine.  And I know this because the highest amounts of data usage are either when I'm sleeping (12:47 am - used 83,614kb) or driving home from work (5:08pm - 2,018,000kb).

Now, I've tried to get ahold of someone in Rogers that could help me with this situation, and no one can tell me anything other than my "out of the ordinary" data usage and the times they were recorded, and to wait until my bill comes in and then they "will see" what they can do at that time. 

This is absolutely insane!!!  I've spend 2 hours a day for 2 days trying to get to the bottom of this and cannot get a straight answer from anyone at Rogers, whether they are in Customer Care or iPhone technical support.  I've gone over the apps on my phone to see if there is anything installed that's out of the ordinary....nothing different from the beginning of the month.  I've check to see what's running in the background, nothing but the SMS, email, the MyRogers app, and my iPod.  

I know I'm talking to deaf ears in this forum, and won't get any help or support from Rogers, but hopefully, if more customers that are experiencing what I am going through, and the customer that posted previously, perhaps more will come forward and we can have some sort of group support to show Rogers this is not an isolated issue.

Any Rogers Employees reading this form, you can reach me at bigsmokejoey@gmail.com to provide any assistance.  My account profile (linked with my cellular phone number) has a lot of documentation from my last two days of calling in to support my issue.

PLEASE HELP !!!!!

***edited labels***

81 REPLIES 81

Re: Unusual High Data Usage

golden2
I've been around
I too am having a high usage problem. From when I got a cell from Rogers 2 years ago till a few days ago I can do less than 1/4 of the amount on the Internet that I used to be able to do when I first became a customer. Now in the last 4 days especially there are huge spikes in my data usage. I can't figure out what's going on. I talked to Rogers and they just try telling me that it is my mobile tethering that is using all the data. I can't even think to turn on my hotshot or it uses over a gig of data just for browsing for a few minutes.

Marn
I've been here awhile

I also have had high data usage with a $50.00 surcharge two months age at 3 weeks into my month, and over my limit in 1 1/2 weeks last month. No reason found except maybe Facebook and their auto video on that started a couple of months ago. I cancelled facebook off the phone, and this month have turned the data off completely. Crazy...Rogers was no help. I haven't been over in 8 years and don't do that much on the phone for data usage, so this makes no sense. Almost glad to see others are having the problem, but haven't seen a reason or a good solution yet. No rembursement offered from Rogers and no solution, except to turn data off. Any other ideas? Rogers won't let me add data to my plan so that isn't a solution.

Hi @Marn,

Welcome to the Community!

What do you typically use your data for? Have you noticed any change in usage since you've removed the Facebook app? Also just as an FYI, if you wish to reinstall Facebook App you can check off the AutoVideo within the App Settings to avoid data usage.

RogersZia 

Marn
I've been here awhile

I was using data to send the odd photo to people, to check facebook or my e-mails briefly, (usually at work where there was no free wifi),  and used Google map occasionally. I was always under 300mb. In the end I cancelled my data, did have the auto video off near the end of having a data plan, and will just pick up wifi where I can.  Not the best solution because I really liked Google map and it's nice to have data when out and about.  The spikes just greatly annoyed me. Thankyou for responding. 

I am New in Rogers My old company it was 10 GB plan I only use 6 GB every month I have 2 days data Show 9.32 gb why ? I dont used this much !!!

Hi @Kurdistani

Welcome to the Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Are you connected to WiFi when available? Has anything changed in how you use your device?

RogersPrasana

Klynnr
I've been here awhile

iPhone Data Usage Issue

We have had issues with data usage on our last billing period and on the current billing period where we reach 90% and still have 14 days remaining. I turned off my cell data and that reduced my usage however the second  phone our share everything plan has used almost 3 times the normal usage in the current billing period. One phone is an iPhone SE and the second is an iPhone 4S. We don't believe we are using as much as Rogers says we are. What is going on?

Hey @Klynnr

Welcome to the Community Forums!

It’s never fun when your Data gets used up within the first half of the month.

iOS devices have a feature called Wi-Fi Assist which automatically switches from Wi-Fi to Data when the Wi-Fi signal is weakened or impaired so you will never have to worry about losing connectivity. It could cause your Data usage to increase especially if it happens while streaming videos over Wi-Fi. Can you confirm if you have the Wi-Fi assist feature enabled on your iOS devices?

RogersTony

Klynnr
I've been here awhile
WE have wi-fi assist but do not stream at all on our iphones

Hi @Klynnr

As RogersTony mentioned, Wi-Fi Assist automatically switches from Wi-Fi to data when the Wi-Fi signal is weakened or impaired so that you don't lose any connectivity. This could cause your Data usage to increase on any application that you use that is used on your iOS devices.

You can manage your family's data use using worry-free data management or MyRogers.

RogersPrasana

AsianTiger
I've been around

I have an inline data recorder, and it has been recording less than half of what rogers says I use. I am done with arrguing with them. 

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @AsianTiger

Good luck.. Their system will show the IMEI, Serial number if the device recorded on their system using the usage. Courts will side with them unless u have actual proof of u not passing all ur data and or having usual high data overages. Your third party app and recorded won't show much to them as remember a multi billion dollar company has more information then the app ur using to record things. So. Unfortunately u will be wasting time and money for nothing. Plus it will take months if it a year for the courts to even go through with this case. CRTC should be the way to go if u want to try something.

jcp1
I've been here awhile

Not helpful or useful.

There is a chronic problem with orders of magnitude extremely high data usage on iphone 6.

You are talking about snippets of data saving

jcp1
I've been here awhile

The bottom of this post shows that the issue is resolved --- NOT

Radar2000
I plan to stick around

iPhone Cellular Data Usage Doesn't Add Up???

I have an iPhone 6s and for the past 2 months, I've receive notices from Rogers stating that I'm about to go over my data plan limit. This is strange as I rarely go over my limit and nothing has changed from my daily usage habits.

My Rogers billing starts on the 11th day of the month. This period I had decided to track my usage on my iPhone and had reset the statistic under the iPhones Cellular Data Usage page/function.

Again, I'm 6 days into my billing period and it's showing that I have used 626 MB already. This is also confirmed on MyRogers app. Wait what?!!

I then decide to count all of the data from each app from my iPhones Cellular Data Usage page/function, I get 70 MB. That's a 556 MB difference!!!???

Anyone else experiencing this with their iPhone 6s?

Any suggestions / recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Good day @Radar2000,

Thanks for your post!

I totally understand your concerns regarding the data consumption that you're unable to account for.

We want to help you use all the tools at your disposition, in order to ensure that you know you're only using what you need, while connected to your mobile network data transmissions.

First of all, make sure that all of your app updates are set to download only when you're connected to Wi-Fi. Automatic downloads, in iOS, allow apps, to be updated automatically. Although this may seem handy, it can also be problematic because they may use your mobile data without you realizing it.

1. To begin, tap “Settings” on your home screen.

2. On the left side of the “Settings” screen, tap “iTunes & App Store”.

3. Under “iTunes & App Stores” on the right, tap the slider button to the right of “Update”.

NOTE: You can also prevent other apps etc., from automatically downloading by turning off the appropriate slider buttons.

Another thing I want to bring to your attention is the Wi-Fi Assist feature. It allows you to stay connected to the Internet even if you have a poor Wi-Fi connection. Let's say you're using Safari with a poor Wi-Fi connection and a webpage doesn't load, Wi-Fi Assist will activate and automatically switch to cellular so that the webpage continues to load. Because you'll stay connected to the Internet over cellular when you have a poor Wi-Fi connection, you might use more cellular data

Therefore, you need to ensure that the Wi-Fi Assist feature is deactivated in the settings of your phone. To do so:

1. Go to your iPhone settings.

2. Click “Cellular.”

3. Scroll all the way down to the very bottom, and you'll see the “Wi-Fi Assist” feature.

4. Switch the toggle to the “off” position.

Also, feel free to check out post 42 of 57 of this thread for more info. 

Let us know if this helps or if you have any other questions Smiley Wink

RogersMaude

Last month, I also received a text message from Rogers saying that I busted my data limit. The day before I checked my limit and I had 3gb left. They charged me 30$ extra. That is very strange... 

Hi @alebel76,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums Robot Happy!

What do you typically use your data for? Do you by any chance have Wi-Fi Assist feature turned on? If you do please refer to @RogersMaude's  post #58 in this thread to learn how to turn it off. 

Just as an FYI, to avoid data overages you can always get more data at a nominal cost. For more information please view this post

RogersZia

markymarkl
I plan to stick around

I had a ZTE Rogers Hub and would burn a gig a day?? Now I have same ZTE hub new sim card on another provider everything is the same on my home network and my day data usage is not near what it was with Rogers??? Are they charging just to be connected to the network?

Betty44
I've been around

Does whatsapp use a lot of data ?

Hello, @Betty44

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for joining and posting your query in the Community.  There are many factors involved with your Whatsapp data consumption question like how many messages are being exchanged, how many with images and videos etc. Also when you forward a message with a picture or video to a group, depending on the size of the group that single message can consume a lot of data.  So it's a little difficult to provide a definitive answer to your question as there are many variables involved. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin