Unusual High Data Usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Unusual High Data Usage

Hey what ever happened with your problem!?!

I'm Here A Lot

Just wanted to add to this.  I had the EXACT same problem, almost an identical story as the OP, except it happened just this last weekend.  80% usage, 2 days later 100%, next day warning about overages.  Same thing, I stopped using data and still got more and more data usage every day after that.  Rogers tech support told me the My Rogers is about a week behind in recording data usage.  Do not accept them to bill you for it, they said My Rogers is updated every 4 hours, so it has to be updated that often.  It's not your fault if its not.

I've Been Around

Does anyone know how much will i charge for any extra KB ?
I've Been Around

I also have an iPhone and I had the same problem last month. I am always monitering my data, and I always make sure to close all apps when Im done so nothing could still be using my data. Then again this month I got a notification around the middle of the month that I was at 100% of my data. I had to turn my data off, but I still kept monitering my data and I noticed that it showed I had gone over.

I don't know what could be causing this and the best thing that rogers customer support could do was credit me my overage for first time overage. This seems to me like a network issue and this is something that rogers should really look into cause if this keeps happening, then I will take my iPhone and be going to another company.

I've Been Around

I have the same problem too!! I woke up one day to receive a message from rogers stating that i've reached 80% of my data limit. I barely reach half of my limit each month!!

Seeing as it was near the end of the billing cycle, i figured it would reset soon, so i just turned off my data/3g and just used wifi for the next few days and it still hasn't reset!! I'm always careful to turn off apps completely too. I am perturbed by this and it's causing a lot of consternation.

Wonder if this forum is actually monitored or if my comments are just falling on deaf ears(eyes)...

I'm Here A Lot

My sister, who is on my plan, had the exact same problem with her iPhone 4. She was also getting a strange black screen informing her the phone was overheating - the phone was sitting on her coffee table, out of the sun and not being used. After almost a week of daily phone calls to Rogers, we discovered it was hardware problem and her phone was replaced. Since then, we haven't had a single problem with her phone. 

After 3 additional calls to Rogers, all the charges for data overage were reversed but it did take some work. I went through all her past bills and highlighted her personal data usage to show this was NOT her problem and, in all honesty, was physically impossible. She's not an avid video watcher nor does she play online games. She checks her email from her home (where there's wifi) then heads to work (again, where there's wifi) and then back home. She usually is in an area that doesn't have wifi for no more than an hour a day. 

This wasn't an easy task and I was, on more than one occassion, called a liar by a Rogers employee. I've been a devote rogers customer for close to 10 years and, prior to that, a faithful employee during my high school years. I was quite upset with the treatment I received but the outcome was acceptable. I only hope no one else has to go through the **bleep** I did to simply get a broken phone replaced (oh, and the phone was a whole 6 months old - definitely still in warranty).

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Believe me my friend. I have been threw the same thing as you. BUT i just make sure i record the phone call also & get the interaction numbers down so when i call back after i hang up, i talk to a manager & they always seem to help. They can see how they treated you & how you treated them. I even tell them to listen to the recording & once they do they see how i was right & the rep was wrong. No it is not illegal to record a phone call since i have checked with a few high end lawyers & have asked Managers about it.

Rogers reps sometimes call you liers because they think that you are at fault all the time. Which is not the case for most of us. They think people call in because they either want discounts or did something wrong & do not want to pay for it so they claim they never did it. That's why sometimes reps do not believe us.

Believe me i have been called a lier, **bleep**, Stupid, Every name possible & also have had them close the phone call on me & once they even shut my line down : / ( long story short that person from what i last heard got fired.)

They record the phone call only for quality purposes. WE can record & keep id numbers & names so if this happens again, they get in **bleep**.
I've Been Around

Im having same data issues, have a bkackberry 9900 1g for data. i have never used more than 175mg a month in my life, then i look at my data usage for this month and it says ive used 1.7g, so that im over by 700mg which is impossible for me! And to top it off i was never sent a text message to warn me about the overage data which rogers admits it wasent sent! ive called rogers at least 10 times to see whats the problem with all this data usage no help at all, cant even get an explanation why this is happening! count me in as a pissed off customer!
I've Been Here Awhile

Yep mine had a huge problem and after getting bounced around by 5 different people in 3 departments, I gave up. My iphone is recording data use at about 800 mb a month (incoming and outgoing data use). I've found no where that anyone is saying the iphone itself isn't managing data properly and is showing incorrect numbers. I received my iphone Octover 17th, my account was set to reset for the next month on the 20th, so my old phone couldn't have accumulated within that timeframe that is unaccounted for within that timeframe. (October 21th - November 20th, ). At the end of my billing, myapp had said I had used 4.9 gigs of data or something crazy. (I have the 6 gig plan). However my iphone only recorded around 800 mb sent AND received, no where close to what was stated for total use since purchase on Octover 17th. It's been that way consistantly month after month. I gave up arguing and trying to get this resolved, I'm not sure if Rogers is billing me for my wifi usage (which they shouldn't!) I had two departments on the internet help chat arguing that I was supposed to speak with the other to get this resolved( at the same time, referring the comments to the other and having the other tell me to go back to the first), my data counter was not reset on my phone itself, and quite frankly, I can't imagine that anyone would let apple get away with having a faulty data counter. Because of the agrivation it was causing me from being bounced around, I gave up but wanted others to hear my story. I'm not being charged extra for the data use, however I'd hate to think about others losing out on money in the same situation who aren't on the 6 gig plan. I've seen multiple postings of Rogers customers having the same issue of incorrect data billing online as well.

I've Been Around

I'm having the same problem. Woke up one morning to a message saying I had used up 80% of my data, so I was careful from then on, but 3 days later another message that I had used up 100%. I switched on my wifi and barely touched my phone for the whole day, and today it shows that another 27 MB has been used. When I called Rogers they could only tell me days that I had a lot of usage...but the two days they mentioned were days I know I couldn't have been using that much data. They advised me to turn off the data packet on my phone and keep monitoring it. I've never gone over my data allowance before, at most 80% on the last day or two.