Unusual High Data Usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Unusual High Data Usage

Same problem. 6GB limit on my 4S, and the overage is increasing even though the phone has been turned off.  I've been trying to call Rogers, but the support line keeps getting disconnected.

I've Been Around

I am also having issue with Data usage and have not had a positive experience dealing with Rogers.  I had this issue on 11/19, when apparently I used 1.8 Gb in one day - I usually average 100-200 Mb per month.  I received the text message notifying that I was over my usage 2 days later.  Too late and too bad - $60 extra on my bill and all support/customer service and management telling me I was at fault and it was all valid data usage.  My obvious pattern of low data usage was of no concern to them and they were unable to provide any tools or assistance in troubleshooting this issue.  I am very disgusted with the rudeness and condescending tone of their 'customer service manager' and the quick cut-off that I have gone as far as I can go up the chain.  I have spent a month trying to troubleshoot this issue - I have googled, worked with Apple and Rogers with no help at all.  I am at the the point that I have to turn off my data usage at home, since while on wi-fi, I am still incurring cellular data usage.  I would like to know how much time 1.8Gb of data should take on the 3g network.  Anyone have any way of calculating this? 

I've Been Around

I've had the same problem with suspiciously high data usage on Samsung Captivate and Iphone 4. In a matter of two days my data usage surged 400 MBs while I was mostly using Wifi at home. While on 3G/H I was basically using the Facebook app (which is supposedly designated for unlimited usage) and What's App and getting email updates (only 1 or 2 per day). I have a network counter (Android Booster) and it has been accurate.  It showed I've used 23.69 MB since Jan. 1 or 2 on the Samsung Captivate.  I turned off data on both phones yersterday night, but data usage surged from 55% to 68% in less than 24 hours when both phones were at home using Wifi and data was turned off!  I called Rogers technical support today and got cut off the first time, so I called again and I was instructed to keep data off and check usage and see if it still goes up. If it still increases, then I should call customer service again. The other option would be to factory reset both phones to delete all "third party" apps.  I don't think it is the apps because I've had the same apps for a while now.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hi everyone!  I'm glad I found this forum.   My wife and I are having the identical problem with our data usage bill from Rogers.  We've had our Iphone 4's since Jan. 6.  The first month seemed normal, charges reasonable.  But then, the last bill we received floored us both!!    We have a shared 2 gb data plan and the first month we were not even close to that total.  This past bill we were tagged with a 20+ gb charge for data.  I immediately contacted Rogers with my concerns and the english-challenged customer service rep gave me a case number and would investigate.  When I called again, I was told that these charges were valid and did come from my wife's phone.  I tried to explain to these people that she would have to be streaming videos all day for charges like those.  She plays a facebook game that is on wifi  90% of the time.  Other than that, our data usage would not even come close to the shared 2 gb.  Hoping to get some resolution to this issue as a $400.00 data charge is totally unacceptable.

RickTee

I'm a Trusted Advisor

If the reps or managers do not do anything to help then you can contact the CRTC & the BBB & also the CCTS & file a complaint how Rogers over charger you for not reason. They will look into it.

Rogers has had some bad problems with this. I have seen a dozen posts about this on their facebook & twitter page as well from others.
I've Been Around

i am starting  reading about high data usage . Following happened to me . I am on a 500 mb data plan and uaually using between 250 to 300 mb a month. Most of the time i am reading news, going in my email account or google questions. Never ever had i streamed or downloaded anything from the net to my iphone. I am checking my usage regulary because i dont wanna go over.

Last time i checked was Sunday April 30th. It was at a260 mb, roughly one week prior to billing date. Everything fine.

Today i go in and check and it is at 1.3 GB. When calling customer service i was told i had used 1 GB on Monday May 1 at 4.45 pm. Too bad i am working at that time and have not used my Iphone. It was on I believe but applications are usually closed.

They could not tell me what had caused the usage of 1 GB on a Monday afternoon when i was on my desk working but i was encouraged to call in once i have received the bill.

This really had shocked my a lot. This must be an issue on part of Rogers but how should i know what it is. I just know it can't be me. When i am using every day on average 10 to 15 mb how can I suddenly use one GB at once.

I just hope they show goodwill and amend the bill. Otherwise I will be gone for good and not using a data plan anymore.

Anyone has experience with such a miracle data usage?

Thanks

I've Been Around

I have a similar issue, and I'm glad I'm not the only one. I rarely use even half of my 500 MB plan. Today I get a message that I am at 100% of data, and my billing cycle ends on the 20th! Rogers tells me that something used more than my entire monthly allotment (600 MB) in one shot, Sunday at 6:30pm (during which time I was participating in a photography session and didn't use my phone).

I have not downloaded any new apps, changed the settings on my phone or changed my usage pattern in any way. 

I spoke to 7 people and no one could resolve my issue. How can we prevent this from happening again if we can't diagnose the problem?

I was told to do a factory restore of the phone or take it into a Rogers store. If this is resolved for anyone, please do post up.

😞

I've Been Around

I am so glad to hear I am not the only one having a problem with Rogers and their high data usage and their lack of assistance with this matter.  We have an  Optimus 3D.

We (my son & I) received an $1,100 Rogers bill due to high data usage.  We phoned Rogers and of course they blamed my son for using apps.  Supposedly in 1 month we used 12GB of data, as several people have told me this is impossible unless downloading movies 24/7.  I am a single mother and cannot afford this type of bills . Anyway, at that point we turned off the phone, pulled the battery out, and pulled the SIM card out.   This has been out since Saturday at midnight and we have racked up over lots of data at this time.   Rogers has said too bad so sad we cannot reverse the charges it is data used.  And currently the fact the phone is in pieces on my coffee table does not matter to them at all.  

I am so upset and disappointed with the service and lack of respect from Rogers.   What happened to assisting the customer? 

I hope they do realize this is a consistent problem (obviously from all other messages) and do something.  

Please advise if your situation has been fixed and how.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not discounting that there potential other problems..  or that each person here's one is different.. but here is my story, and it ended up OK in the end.

Like some of the others have said.. got the 80% warning.. then while calling into them got the 100% warning. 
I am only on a 500mb plan..i use under 100mb normaly a month, i am 90% of the time on wifi.

I was like *** is wrong with my phone.  Called in, and got a decent tech.. Said they could see the number going up.
At that point, they said to kill all the apps on the phone (double click on the home button, hold down on one, and hit the minus on all of them).  Within 2-3 mins.. the data flow stoped.

It has never run into this since.

Now, what they said.. is that sometimes an app can get locked into a loop.. say continualy refreshing, so continualy pulling data.. and even switching into an area with wifi.. since whatever its stuck in was on 3g at the time.. it stays going that method.

Again, not saying this is what happened to everyone.. but this would be why they are asking for the restore on the phone.. wipe all 3rd party apps, make sure that your a blank slate and illiminate any apps causing the problem.

I'm an Enthusiast

Download a data monitor and how did you get the 6 gb plan