Unusual High Data Usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Unusual High Data Usage

I too was receiving texts stating I was at 80% than 100% data usage then have now been charged $50. For overage. I haven't done anything different and actually thought the texts were a scam. Apparently not. Haven't been able to speak to anyone over the holidays. Something is definitely wrong I actually had my cellular data turned off and have been within a wifi area in my home since Dec 22. What the heck?

Hello @tmildav,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I know that no one likes to see Data Overage charges on their bills, it's a very unpleasant surprise! Especially if you've disabled the Cellular Data on your device.

Can you describe how you disabled the Cellular Data on your iPhone/iPad? Do you have the Wi-Fi Assist feature enabled or disabled? Have you done an update on the OS of your device recently? Have you ever noticed this type of unusual data usage previously?

We look forward to hearing from you!

RogersTony

I've Been Around

Unusual High Data Usage for my Son's cell phone

I received a bili over $700 as Rogers charged my son data usage for over $500! it was so weird as my son does not bring the phone to school and at home we have unlimited wifi. I only received one text message saying $200 is over limit. and 3 days later, we received the bill for over $700! 

As i called Rogers, they told me they did not know where he used the data, but they sent out text message whenever ...  Nobody helped me on this. they just want me to pay the bill asap. that's not right. it was not the first time for this unusual high amount. and somebody needs to help me on this. 

the school does not allow him to bring the phone and at home we have Rogers unlimited Wifi. Is Rogers unlimited Wifi not working? We bought 1000 but download speed is only 43. Can somebody help me on this? 

Hello @juliajinzh,

A warm welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thank you for posting your concerns here! 

High data usage charges can certainly be worrisome, especially when they are not expected! It is true that we do provide data alerts to our customers who are on a Share Everything plan. The Data Manager (or the Main Line if no Data Manager has been assigned) will receive a data alert once the plan's data has reached 90% and 100% and after accumulating $150 and $250 of overage charges.

Please note that you also have the ability to set up data usage alerts using our Data Manager available through the MyRogers app and Rogers.com. I use this option for my own family and once they reach a certain amount of data used, I switch off their data until our bill cycle resets. It is quite useful in helping keep track of everything!

I'd also like to advise that if you have both the mobile data and Wi-Fi enabled on a device, the device will automatically use the option that is currently providing the best/strongest signal. So it is possible your son's device could have been flipping back and forth between the two options during use. This is why we always recommend turning the mobile data OFF in the device settings when not in use to ensure it doesn't get utilized inadvertently.  Although we do not collect data usage info for specific apps, you can find this information directly from your Apple or Android device through the device settings.

You may also want to consider migrating your lines to one of our new Rogers Infinite Plans which offer a set amount of data available at max speed. Beyond the max speed data bucket, each line gets unlimited data at a reduced speed (Up to 512Kbps) means no more data overage charges on your bill. You'll have to ability to decide which lines share their data and which lines do not. To learn more about these plans, please CLICK HERE.

With this being said, if you would like us to review your billing to ensure there were no discrepancies made, we'll be more than happy to do so. Feel free to send us a private message @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please CLICK HERE.

Thank you!

RogersLaura