Unlocking iPhone Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Unlocking iPhone Thread

Hello @jdas2k

Sometimes iTunes will want the iPhone to restore to a previous backup so the completion of the unlocking can be done. Also its known for Apple to do this for years.
I've Been Here Awhile

Unusual iPhone 5s Rogers CA locking issue

Hello dear support,

I am a guy from Ukraine country and have quite unusual issue with my iphone 5s . I purchased it less a year ago from hands in my country with all the guarantees it is in good condition and NO icloud or cellular issues at all. I was quite happy using it until recent, when I decided to flash lates ios firmware via itunes (not a backup restore).

After that I got my iPhone in initial iOS state and when I tried to activate it with my SIM card it told me that this card is not supported. After some time of upset and reading internet it has become clear, that iphone is locked to an operator. After doing paid check by IMEI i was given the log info about my phone is locked to Rogers Canada, while being unlocked in the past! 

I learned your site, and saw the conditions to unlock from your contract, but I completely understand that it is not my case at all.  I still decied to contact you here with an extra-small chance for a luck, that in case my iphone was previously and succesfully used during all contractual period of time under your network, and now you don't have any claims to your past subscriber (and previous phoen owner) you can somehow unlock it from your network. I am fully opened to give you any photo or video proofs that I am not lying and not a rogue, also located in the Ukraine country (and Kharkiv city), as long as my public identity account (e.g. facebook)

Thank you very much for any reply,

Regards

Denis

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @denisk

Welcome to the forums!

I am saddened to let u know unfortunately Rogers can not do anything seeing as u do not have a Rogers account and also live in another country and not in a Rogers account.

There isn't much they can do unfortunately :(.
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello @Meowmix

Thanks for your input. Because you say "they", it means that you are not Rogers direct tech/support representative? If it is so, can u please advice about how can I contact support , unless some support team member is monitoring the forum and will give their final answer ? (i really do not expect for miracle but just wanted to be 100% that Rogers can not do anything because of tech or other reasons)
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @denisk

Unfortunately they won't be able to help you either. Please read below on how a unlocking happens with Rogers. They are not able to unlock devices that are not attached to a Rogers wireless account as per the agreement with the CRTC and also them selfs.. That's how it works sadly.. They can not override that. Unfortunately u will need to unlock the device a third party store or online. Sorry just giving u the information Rogers Corporation is giving to its customers and online. I wish i had better news but as u can read the posts above I have responded to others, its been the same :(.

"How do I get my wireless device unlocked?

You can have your wireless device unlocked at any of our Rogers retail/dealer stores or contact us via phone, email, or live chat. To unlock your device, your account must be in good standing, you must pay the $50 fee (plus applicable taxes) and you must satisfy one of the criteria below.
Your current device has been active on your Rogers account for at least 90 days.
You have purchased a device at the no-term price (i.e. no discount for committing to a fixed term.)
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks @Meowmix 😞
I've Been Around

Phone locked to Rogers

Good day,

I have a problem with my iPhone. The thing is I bought it from my friend who just got a new phone, and needed to get rid of her old one. My friend bought hers from BestBuy, unlocked, but entered into a Rogers family plan with her family to save money. She believed that the old phone wouldn't be locked, since she bought it unlocked, but now I've realized it is in fact locked to Rogers, she didn't know they could or would do that. Now it seems that I have to pay for them to open a new account for me, and then pay for them to unlock it, which I think is pretty unfair. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could do? Can I get it unlocked without having to pay a small fortune for it? I live overseas so I have to figure something out before I head back home.

Thanks so much!

Dagny  

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @dagnyeythors

Oh no! That's no good. Unfortunately there is no way to unlock a device or free or have to pay a small fee u less it's a Android phone which u can unlock for around $10-$20 online. IPhones use a whitelist system is which carriers and Apple uses. So even cellphone stores will charge u $50-100 to unlock it.

The best thing to do is open the account and unlock it after 90 days. Thats the only option is i am afraid.
I Plan to Stick Around

Requirements for unlocking an older iPhone

I am looking to unlock my older iPhone (one that was previously used on Rogers but has now been upgraded to a new device).  There is no SIM card in the older iPhone but I want to unlock it.  I know that I can call Rogers to request that the device be unlocked but I am wondering if I need to put a SIM card into the phone.  I don't want to put my existing SIM card so should I go to the Rogers store to request a blank/dummy SIM card in order to complete the unlock process?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @efxtech29

I do believe u do need a sim card but with the iPhone all u need to do is request the unlocking, the whitelist the iPhone and once it's been plugged into iTunes, it will unlock but I do believe u need another carrier sim to do so.

Best thing to do is contact Rogers and speak to them.