Unlocking iPhone Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unlocking iPhone Thread

Good evening @ricoco22,

Thank you for your post!

What carrier is your iPhone locked to?

Do you have an active Rogers account?

Normally, the original carrier should take care of the device unlocking.

If it is a Rogers device, scroll through this thread for more information on how to have your device unlocked. Smiley Wink 

RogersMaude

I've Been Around

I bought an iPhone 5s with rogers in 2014 and unlocked it through rogers tech support in Feb 2016 and it worked fine for another carrier for a while.

I just did a reset to the iPhone today and suddenly it will only activate with a rogers sim card. I doubled checked the billling history and turns out I was charged for unlocking a $50 fee in Feb 2016.

Could someone help explain to me what is happening?

Hello @ssssasdffffff,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums & Thanks for your post!

Some customers with iOS device, report that their iPhone has re-locked following a system update.

In this case, it requires a subsequent unlock.

Don't worry, the unlock charge is not applied the second time.

Simply get in touch with us by PM or speak with a member of our technical support team with your device IMEI in hand. Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

RogersMaude

I'm Here A Lot

I purchased a Rogers locked iPhone 6s online, and tried to get it unlocked.

Rogers customer service told me that I had to have the phone on my Rogers account for 90 days before I can unlock it, which goes against what is written on this forum and other places online.

The phone is not even from under contract. It was given from a work place, and this was almost half a year ago.

The excuses that the customer service agents are giving me literally make no sense, and everyone here already knows that the whole locking/unlocking thing has a lot of made up rules around it. They even checked the IMEI and admitted that it was not blacklisted and there was nothing technically limiting their ability to unlock the phone. Just a bogus rule.

All I want, is to unlock this iPhone 6s, which was not even purchased on a contract.

If one of the Rogers Mods can provide some help, it would be much appreciated. 

Good evening @Sndnsn,

Welcome to the Forums!

Did your employer provide you with a receipt for the purchase of the device they gave you?

We will require a proof or purchase, in order to unlock a device that has not been on your account for 90 days.

Also; Did you give the IMEI number of your phone to the representative your were speaking with? 

The 90 days starts from the day we add it on file.

If you need further assistance, feel free to send us a private message at @CommunityHelps

Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

I'm Here A Lot

It's highly doubtful that a receipt exists, since it was from a previous work place and it was a work phone they gave for the position.

I did also give the IMEI number over the phone, but can't be 100% sure if they put it on the account or not.

Honestly, waiting 90 days for this seems pretty ridiculous. I can understand Rogers being worried about theft and all that, but couple weeks vs 90 days won't change that. If this phone isn't blacklisted now, and isn't blacklisted in couple weeks, it's extremely unlikely that something will change in the next 70 days beyond that. 

It's an iPhone 6s not even a 7..

Rogers should understand that experiences like this that try to strong arm people into sticking with Rogers actually cause the opposite effect. I currently have 3 lines with Rogers and 1 with Koodo, and I'm just trying to use this phone with the Koodo line. I've been with Rogers for a very very very long time, and this is pushing me out the door. 

Hi @Sndnsn,

We can take a look into your account to see if we can assist you with your request. Please contact us via PM @CommunityHelps next time you're online. To learn more about our Private Messaging system, you can visit here.

RogersZia

I've Been Around

Hello!

My name is Vasya and i’am curious if there’s any chance to have my iPhone 5 Rogers unlocked. I bought it used on ebay that’s why i don’t have any receipts or contract number. But some of my friends got their iPhones successfully unlocked without such info. 

Thank you in advance.

I'm Here A Lot

Don't count on it. Their solution will be to have it activated on your account for the next 90 days, which isn't a solution at all. It's just the policy exactly as it currently is. 

It doesn't matter that the phones purchased have nothing to do with Rogers except for the fact that they lock it before selling the phones for their own benfit. 

We don't even get the "privilege" to pay Rogers $50 to undo their action of making the phones crappier before selling it.  

I've Been Around

I bought an IPhone 6 from Kijiji with the intention of using it on a different provider. This phone is locked to Rogers and I was under the impression I can get it unlocked from a 3rd party. Turns out no 3rd party can unlock a Rogers or Fido Iphone as the servers have been taken down by Rogers (or so I am told). Now I have a phone I cannot use as I don't have cell phone service from Rogers. I am being told I have to be a Rogers mobility customer for 90 days on a contract which I don't understand quite frankly as the phone has done it's term with Rogers. The original owner has not been a Rogers customer for more than 3 months so he cannot help either and he basically told me it's my problem.

So, I am asking please for some advice. I cannot go with Rogers as I have a work phone with Telus. Is there a way out for me or am I screwed.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.