Unlocking iPhone Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Unlocking iPhone Thread

Last summer I purchased (for full price) an iphone 4 16gig, I called roger today to see if I could get it unlocked for the $50 fee and they told me only iphones which had a Rogers contract attached to them are elegible to be unlocked ie you had a contract which has matured. This is jsut unacceptable paying almost a 1000 dollars for a phone and it still being locked to Rogers.

Anyone get there purchased iphone 4 unlocked by Rogers?

I'm a Senior Advisor

Borat are you sure your phone is actually locked? Did you buy it from an Apple store or from a Rogers store? Paying full price for a locked phone would be bad news...

I've Been Here Awhile

Yea, I bought it from a Rogers store.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Call back and try to talk to someone else.. It doesn't sound right.

I've Been Here Awhile

That does sound like a terrible situation.

I've Been Here Awhile

and i'm new to this whole unlocking feature, could anyone sum it up for me?.. I have an assumption, but rather find out what it really is.. lol

I've Been Around

I just tried this.  You must be an existing customer for this to be allowed.  Which seems entirely counter-intuitive to me.  So plan ahead folks... unlock your phones before you leave Rogers otherwise you're screwed (like me).  So basically I paid out my full contract and the phone and I still can't use it.

Sigh... exactly the type of business practice why I left Rogers in the first place and completely ending any possibility I would ever go back.  Now I'm working on getting my wife out.

Seriously, folks.  Try a different carrier.  The level of respect you get from other places will make you wonder why you didn't leave Rogers earlier.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@dnaod unlock the phone under your wifes name. Tell them you gave/sold the phone to her and she is an existing customer and wants to unlock the phone.

Rogers Employee WiseD
Rogers Employee

I have a feeling that they cant unlock the device because they need an account to bill the $50 unlocking charge to. One option I have heard that supposedly works is if you open a prepaid wireless line and load $50 onto it. That way Rogers has a way of getting the $50 and assuming the device fits the other criteria (end of contract or bought outright) then there shouldnt be a problem.

Cheers!

I Plan to Stick Around

I currently have an iPhone 4, and if I get the next iPhone thats coming out, is there any way to unlock the iPhone 4 after I have the new iPhone?