Unlocking iPhone Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Unlocking iPhone Thread

Ssory i am using google translate. My english is bad 😞

I'm Here A Lot

My iPhone is locked to Rogers network. technical support says that it can not be unlocked without a Rogers account. Can somebodyhelp me with unlocking. I would be very grateful.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

The ONLY way Rogers will UNLOCK the iPhone is if bought the phone outright from a Rogers store & OR are almost done or done your 3 year term.

I've Been Around

I just spoke with Rogers and they will unlock my iPhone 4 but its very costly. Basically its a $50 fee plus $20 / month left on your contract - I have 20 months left so they want to charge me $450 which seems very high but also seems like the only option out there for now.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

do u need it unlocked? can it wait the longer u wait the cheaper it wil lbe

I'm a Trusted Advisor

@ Ayates. They are charging you the cancellation fees that's why. That is why they are asking you to pay $450 more.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

After reading this thread, I haven't come across what might be similar to my issue. My cousin supposedly bought the iPhone 4 in the States from an Apple store. Which I was thinking would be unlocked, but it wasn't. I inserted my Fido microSIM and it couldn't find the network. It's iOS 5.0.1 and 4.11 baseband. From what I understand, since I didn't receive my phone from Rogers or Fido, they won't be able to unlock it for me. Would it be possible to explain the situation to Apple and get it unlocked through them (by phone?). Or am I out of luck? I feel like there has to be a legitimate solution here. But searching anything with "iPhone" in it is next to impossible with all the millions of results that pop up. 

I know a few others who have this issue as well. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

@DNCrgl how much did he pay for the phone? What sim card did it come with? Sounds like it's probably a locked subsidized phone and only the company it's locked to will unlock it...

Or you can jailbreak it and unlock it yourself.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Not really Chris. In Rare cases Apple will unlock it for you IF you can prove that you bought a phone that was SUPPOSED to be unlocked. I know a few people in Toronto & in California that had this done at the Apple store after showing proof. 98% of the time like you said Apple will not unlock it the carrier has to unlock it. He / she can jailbreak it but also there is a chance of bricking the phone while jail breaking it or unlocking it. Many people have had this issue. Its on your own risk.

Ask your cuzin if they have the bill when they bought the phone from the Apple store in the States. If they do have them to Call Apple Canada & tell them to talk to a agent. They will ask for him / her to either fax the bill or mail it & the maybe they can unlock it for you.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Meowmix yes I have heard the same where a phone is mistakenly locked at the point of purchase, but this sounds more likely that the phone was bought on contract with one of the American carriers. The receipt will tell you what is going on, if the phone cost is less than $500 it was most likely sold as a locked device.