Unlocking iPhone Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Unlocking iPhone Thread

Hello @Keivn111

Please visit the site below to get more information.

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/wireless/unlock/733

I've Been Here Awhile

I have a phone from this company and I would like to give it to a family member who lives in another country. The phone is an iphone 5s. As I do the process to release this phone and can use it in any country. Thank you very much and I look forward to your prompt reply.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @johnonico77

If you have a Rogers account and the IMEI number has been on the account for 90 days then u can ask them to unlock the device for you.

Unfortunately you can't unlock the device by a carrier unless u have it tied to a account or bought it outright from them and unlock it form that date.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Do you know any mail from customer service that can confirm this?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @johnonico77

Its on their website and also the CRTC made this rule.

" How do I get my wireless device unlocked?

You can have your wireless device unlocked at any of our Rogers retail/dealer stores or contact us via phone, email, or live chat. To unlock your device, your account must be in good standing, you must pay the $50 fee (plus applicable taxes) and you must satisfy one of the criteria below.
Your current device has been active on your Rogers account for at least 90 days."

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/wireless/unlock/733

I've Been Here Awhile

Hey there,

I called Rogers earlier today trying to get a used iPhone 6 unlocked. My friend got an upgrade after his contract was up, so I got the iPhone 6 from him. The agent told me that the iPhone 6 has to be on my own account for 90 days before it can be unlocked... Why is that?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Korendir

That is correct as i said above as well. This is the rule the CRTC made for all carriers. It's to ensure many things including making sure the device is working properly with the network and such. Unfortunately this can not be changed.
I've Been Here Awhile

So.. making sure the device is working properly with the network and such.... As I mentioned in my post, my friend used the phone for the entirety of his contract WITH Rogers... If that doesn't show that it works "properly" with the network, I really wouldn't know what else would....
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Korendir

That true. Unfortunately the carriers follow what the CRTC tells them to do. You can contact the CRTC with any concerns.
I'm Here A Lot

Hi all, 

So here's my Unlocked dilemma.

I recently upgraded to an iPhone 7 Plus from an iPhone 4S. The 4S was purchased under contract with Rogers. That device is now paid off and I want to give to my parents to take overseas. I've deactivated the 4S from my AppleID and wiped all personal apps and data on it. How does the unlock process work? Do I just take the old 4S into a Rogers store and pay up $50? My account with Rogers is in good standing. Not sure I'm missing any other details.

Thank you