Unlocking iPhone Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Unlocking iPhone Thread

Hello @driveamclaren

Unfortunately nothing can be done. The first owner most likely bought it outright which they could have unlocked it with Rogers but decided not too or paid for it on a 2 year term and CANCELLED their account 3 months after.

Unfortunately under the CRTC unlocking rule it states carriers must unlock the device if the original owner bought it outright at that moment or wait 90 days if they bought it under a 2 year term and pays for it that way.

Unfortunately it doesn't state anywhere about someone else buying a used iPhone or device that is locked to someone else. So Rogers most likely won't be able to unlock it for u.
I'm Here A Lot

This is why this "rule" is complete nonsense and makes no sense.

If the phone was originally bought outright, Rogers should have no say as to when that phone should be unlockable. That makes sense.

Now, if the phone was bought under a 2 year term and said plan cancelled 3 months after, the person now has to pay a crazy amount of cancellation fees to do so. 1 year and 9 months worth of cancellation fees.

Rogers' entire reasoning for cancellation fees is for that exact reason. To make their money back on the discount given on the initial purchase of the phone. 

So after Rogers has gotten their money, why should they have any say as to when the phone now should be unlockable?

People are saying, Okay Rogers. Double dip away. Cancellation fees, paid; phone, paid; unlock fee, will pay. Why is waiting 90 days a thing?

Just because. 

That's literally all that Rogers employees can say, because the actual reason that Rogers puts on their website is complete bogus, made up stuff. 

"Your device has been optimized for use on the Rogers network. You may find that some settings or features do not function properly once the device is unlocked and in use with another carrier's SIM card."

Really? lol. Anyone with a little knowledge of how iphones work can easily tell you how completely nonsense that sentence is. 

And blaming CRTC for this "rule" that most likely Rogers, Telus, and Bell lobbied to have exist, is the biggest cop-out ever. The only entities that this rule benefits is the companies; not customers. That is a huge failure of CRTC and every time that excuse has to be used to calm down customers, just shows how messed up this country's telco industry really is. 

At the end of the day, I'm the idiot for buying a Rogers locked phone, expecting anything of it. Complaining at this point is purely an exercise in keeping my insanity dealing with Rogers, and hoping that someone else will see it and be prevented from making the same mistake.

Good on you Rogers, keep trying to grasp at those straws, until the day finally comes when telecommunications companies become the dumb pipes they were meant to be. Huzzah.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Sndnsn

Actually if you buy a iPhone from someone else and wish to unlock it, you only pay the $50 unlocking fee. You don't pay the Cancellation fees or anything. That would have been paid by the original owner given that they decided not to unlock it when cancelling the account.

The 90 days rule was made by the CRTC and carries to make sure customers don't cancel their account immediately and request the device to be unlocked.

There is sadly nothing that can be done and everyone knows iPhones are the hardest to unlock as they need to be white listed on apples systems to be unlocked vs other devices which u can unlock easier.
I'm Here A Lot

Hello, @Meowmix

That's very interesting to hear, because that is my exact situation. I purchased the phone from someone and I cannot have the phone unlocked even while willing to pay the $50 unlocking fee.

So, it's quite evident to me, that what you say can happen, is not happening. Whatever the reason might be, that's not how it happens every time.

And again, the fact that customers cannot cancel their accounts immediately and request the device to be unlocked has no benefit to anyone but the carriers.

It is purely to force customers into having to stay with the carrier. The carriers already had the monetary way of regaining their losses from such a customer through the cancellation fees.

If what you're telling me, is that there could have been a loophole that allowed a customer to be able to cancel their account immediately with no penalties, then it seems pretty clear to me that was what needed to be prevented.

This unlocking rule is trying to solve a problem with a solution for a different problem. And this 90 day rule does not exist in pretty much any other country. Actually does it exist in any other country at all?

US? Nope. All of Europe? Nope.

iPhones are the hardest to unlock for third-party unlockers for sure. But for the carriers? It's quite easy to unlock for the exact reason you state. All that has to be done is for a carrier to add the iPhones IMEI to an internal list, that gets sent to Apple, who will then input it into their whitelist on their servers. Done.

And that, is exactly why we are here talking to Rogers employees about unlocking our iPhones instead of having already unlocked phones done by a third party weeks ago.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Sndnsn

Unfortunately nothing can be done. It's a rule that the carriers and CRTC made and it seems like it won't change at all. Unfortunately at this moment either two things can be done as we said, open a account and use it for 90 days and have th email unlock it or I would suggest speaking to a manager and see what they can do. Unfortunately the forums is user to user and the MOD can't do much unless u are a Rogers customer.

It would be easier if u could be able to unlock the device after 30 days on a contract but seems like they won't change it. As for someone buying a used one, none of the carriers in the states will allow u to unlock the device that way as well..I tried when I was in Buffalo with At&T but they said no because it's locked to Verizon. Went to Verizon and wouldn't let me unless I was on a contract with them. So seems to be similar a bit.
I'm Here A Lot

Hello @Meowmix

No worries. At this point I'm just airing out frustrations about the situation. I've already come to the conclusion that the Mods nor even a manager can do anything about this situation. I've already called in about that. 

With the rule being so made up and total nonsense, the only way I can get this to be done is to have a personal relationship with someone in Rogers that can handle this for me. 

Anyways, I'm really not blaming you or any of the mods here, so hopefully I didn't come off like that. I can tell you wish you could help more by the endless amounts of "unfortunately"s that you have written, haha. 

Just leaving up my arguments, for arguments sake, and that maybe it'll get some other Rogers' customers to think about it a little more. 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Sndnsn

Sadly i do not work for Rogers and even if I did there isn't much i can do. We are all chess pieces here waiting until the CRTC and carriers change their mind about the rules. Most of us wish the rules could be a changed a bit to have more room and ways to unlock our devices but nothing has happened.

As many here have said, it ends up causing some customers more problems when buying a locked iPhone which in the end u can notunlock .
I've Been Around

hi! i also have an iphone 5c from my friend that is locked on your network. can you unlock it? the phone is now here in the philippines. thank you

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @kweysnafar

Unfortunately in order for Rogers to unlock the device, it must be attached to a Rogers wireless account for 90 days and then unlock it for the fee of $50. Rogers can't unlock devices if u live in another country and use it with another carrier.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I understand that Rogers offer Rogers' locked phone for $50 after 90days of purchase.

My question is do I need to be current Rogers' customer with receipt of the phone in order to get the phone unlock from Rogers.

Because I am not with Rogers anymore and wondering if I can still visit Rogers near me and have my phone unlocked by paying $50.

I do not have the receipt of the phone but the phone was purchased over 1 year ago.

The phone is iPhone 6S Plus.