Unlocking iPhone Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Unlocking iPhone Thread

Hi,

We'll be travelling to the Philippines for a few weeks shortly and I was wondering whether it is possible to get my iPhone 4 unlocked so that I can use it there with a local carrier?

Thanks

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Unlocking iPhone Thread

As of December 2010, Rogers will unlock your phone for $50 although I'm not sure if this "offer" extends to all Rogers customers or only those that are off contract or own their phones outright.  There is a bill in legislation now that, once passed, will mandate all phone company's unlock your phone for free after the contract has expired and you own your phone outright.  I had mentioned this in another thread and see it has been deleted after a couple weeks while the thread remains...the same may happen here.  Check with Customer Services.  Also for further information see

**edited for content**

I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah, ive read this else where as well, but i called the local Roger's outlet, and the Rep i spoke with there knew NOTHING of an iPhone 4 unlock, or how to go about it..... I bought my iPhone 4 used, and it was off contract, and had nothing oweing n it, so it should be eligable for an unlock, from what i read...... i would really like to get it done, and was hoping for a new ultrasn0w for baseband 02.10.04, but it doesn't look like its gonna happen anytime soon. ;-( The one rep said they wouldnt do it anyways because it would void the warranty, i told her i didnt care, and would sign a waiver if need be..... she didnt really know what she was talking about, i could tell.

so is it really possible to get off contract Rogers iPhone 4's carrier unlocked?

ginnz

Rogers Employee WiseD
Rogers Employee

@ginnz wrote:

i called the local Roger's outlet, and the Rep i spoke with there knew NOTHING of an iPhone 4 unlock, or how to go about it.....

This is definitely not something that can be done be a dealer in store. If you want to know if your eligible for unlocking and to get it done you would need to call in for Customer Service at 1-888-764-3771.

Retired Moderator RogersJonathan
Retired Moderator

Hello to All ,

@WiseD 

@ginnz,

@ mysticode

@PhoneFreedomNow

Thank you all for offering your feedback in regards to this issue.

The goal of the forums is to provide a venue where customers can help each other with technical questions. The question you posted should be address to our customer care department.

For any information in regards to unlocking any Rogers device. Please contact our customer service department at 1-866-931-DATA (3282) they will be able to answer any questions you have about unlocking your device.

I hope this helps,

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the information. And to the guy who states its definately something a dealer can't do, why not? al they need to do is contact apple and give the IMEI # of the phone, and they release the "Unlock" over iTunes for that specific device, then you update through iTunes and the device is unlocked......I'd personally decline at this point, as that would mean i'd have to run the newest OS (4.3) and i don't want to, as i'd loose my jailbreak 😉 .... 😞

anyways, ill look into it, and see if i'm able to have it done..... just in case!

Thanks again for the info!

ginnz.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee WiseD
Rogers Employee

The reason I had said its not something a dealer can do is because I'm sure you can't just call apple up and have them unlock it as easy as your stating. The dealers wouldnt have the contact information or authority to have this done. Even when you call in to Rogers to get this done, its not something that a Level 1 Tech can even do.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

WiseD is correct. The deals cannot do it because it has nothing to do with 'just contacting Apple'. Carriers can only unlock iPhones if they have an Apple certified/authorized system to connect to Apple's IMEI whitelist database. When Rogers first started unlocking iPhones, I was told by a Rogers rep that they had only one computer for both Rogers and Fido to do the unlocks. A dealer will not have a system to perform the unlock. What they might be able to do is call Rogers customer service to request the unlock for you, but why waste the time of going to a dealer then, when you can make the same call yourself.

And contacting Apple would be useless anyway, as the will not do unlocks. That is contractually up to the carriers to approve and process.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Also, if the carrier unlocks your phone you do NOT need to update to 4.3 or any particular version.

I've Been Around

Dear ,

my friend bought for me I phone4 new from roger store in cash . So and they told him it is international and works with all Simi cards and now when I open it is only for rogers network. Did there any steps to follow or what is the problem . pls I need the answer ASAP ..