Unlocking iPhone Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Unlocking iPhone Thread

My daughter gave me an iphone 4, but its with telus.  I have a plan with rogers, can they unlock the phone so I can stay with my plan?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello keeshagirl

Unfortunately no. That is a Telus device. Rogers only unlocks devices which are locked to Rogers. You will need to contact Telus about it or unlock it via third party retailer

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I've read all the previous postings. My situation is I have bought an iPhone 4 from craigslist advertised as unlocked. It was not. The apple store tells me it is locked to Rogers. The seller does not reply to my emails ( no kidding). I am not a Rogers customer. I have read that Rogers will not unlock it as I am not the original owner. But if I open a Rogers account, add the IMEI number and even with just a pay as you go account for 90 days, will Rogers unlock the phone for the $50 fee? Or am I forced to a 3rd party service? And can I unlock it via 3rd party service even while I am in Spain?

Thanks to all the experts on here for your patient replies to all the previous queries.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello caminogirl

Unfortunately the unlocking will need to take place if you have A Rogers wireless account ( monthly not PayGo). If you want, open a Rogers wireless account with a bring your own device option and then cancel it after you unlock the device. That will work.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi Meowmix,

Unfortunately, i would pay far more than I do now for a monthly plan. And I would need to have an account for 90 days, yes? I rarely use my current phone which is a pay as you go. It might take me 4 months to use a $50 tab. Sigh. Nothing like being forced into a third party unlock which seems my best option right now.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello caminogirl

Unfortunately this is a rule all carriers have in place. I wish there was a better way but the only other way would by a third party unlocking.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello caminogirl

Here is the fully unlocking Rogers policy

Unlocking Devices

How do I get my wireless device unlocked?

You can have your wireless device unlocked at any of our Rogers retail/dealer stores or contact us via phone, email, or live chat. To unlock your device, your account must be in good standing, you must pay the $50 fee (plus applicable taxes) and you must satisfy one of the criteria below.

• Your current device has been active on your Rogers account for at least 90 days.
  • You have purchased a device at the no-term price (i.e. no discount for committing to a fixed term.)

Do you charge for unlocking a device?

You can unlock your device for a $50 fee plus applicable taxes.

Why do I have to wait 90 days before I can unlock my device?

Your device has been optimized for use on the Rogers network. You may find that some settings or features do not function properly once the device is unlocked and in use with another carrier's SIM card. We want to ensure that you've had the chance to experience the full capabilities of your device on the Rogers network before making the decision to unlock.

What if I purchased the wireless device without a Rogers FLEXtab™ agreement (i.e., paid the no-term price)? Do I have to wait 90 days before I can unlock my device?

When you purchase a wireless device on a new or existing Rogers account at the no-term price, you are eligible to unlock it immediately.

Can I unlock a device that I bought from another carrier?

We can only unlock devices that have been purchased directly from Rogers.

Will unlocking affect the way my device works?

If you're using another carrier's SIM card with your unlocked Rogers device, some settings or features may not function properly as they're configured to the Rogers network.

Am I still subject to my term commitment if I unlock my device?

Yes. Unlocking your device does not affect your FLEXtab™ agreement or term commitment.

Does unlocking my device void my warranty?

If your device is unlocked by Rogers, it will not void your warranty.

If I unlock my device, can I use it anywhere in the world?

Yes, provided there is service in that area on a network compatible with your device. You will need to insert a SIM card of a local carrier to use your device elsewhere

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/wireless/unlock/733?setLanguage=en

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I got an iphone 4 from a friend and its locked with your network(Rogers). I wanted to give it to my friend but his in the Philippines. How can we do about unlocking it guys? My friend can't use the phone there and if we will try to unlocked it online. We will gonna pay something. Can you please help me with this?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello eric_here

Unfortunately in order to unlock the device via Rogers is have the device listed on a Rogers wireless account that is active and have them unlock it after 90 days of having the IMEI number of the device in the account. If the previous owner is the first owner and is still with Rogers, they most likely will be able to unlock it for a fee of $50.

Other then that u have to unlock it via third party unlocking sites.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi there,

I'm hoping that someone will know the answer to this. 

I currently have an iPhone 5 that has Applecare+. It is not yet unlocked (it's eligible to be unlocked by Rogers, but I just haven't done it yet). 

There are some cracks on the screen, so I'll be taking it into the Apple store to get a new one for $50 under the Applecare+ warranty program. 

After I get the new iPhone 5, I would like Rogers to unlock it. Will I encounter any problems doing so as this is not the original device that I got from them almost two years ago? The 90-day clock does not restart, does it? 

Please advise. Thanks in advance.