Unlocking iPhone Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Unlocking iPhone Thread

Hello sweetsisi

If you bought the phone and its locked to Rogers, there isn't much Rogers can do as u live in another city let alone different country. You will need to get it unlocked via third party site or store.

I've Been Here Awhile

hi there,

I have an iPhone 5s that is currently locked to the Rogers network. I got this phone from apple on a warranty issue. I’m currently using it with rogers but I’m going to the UK this winter for an extended amount of time and I plant to use it over there. The problem is that Rogers wont unlock the phone because they don’t have it in their system. However no one else can unlock the phone because it’s locked to the Rogers network. I had one Rogers employee say I should take it to a third party to have it unlocked. I don’t plan on doing this as it could void my warranty. I’ve also contacted apple and they can’t do anything about it. Any help would be great. Thanks! 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello jmdadams

There are several unlocking unlock threads on here. You will need to contact Apple due that it's a refurbished device from Apple and see if they can contact Rogers or white list it so that way Rogers can do it.

The refurbished device from Apple are generic devices that Rogers wouldn't see in their system. That's why they can't unlock it. Also you need to have the IMEI number of that phone added on ur account for 90 days in order for Rogers to. Unlock it for a fee of $50.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello jmdadams

As i explained in ur other post, The refurbished device from Apple are generic devices that Rogers wouldn't see in their system. That's why they can't unlock it. Also you need to have the IMEI number of that phone added on ur account for 90 days in order for Rogers to. Unlock it for a fee of $50.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Dont know weither this is true or not..

But when my wifes iphone 5 died (like 3 days out of warranty), and apple graciously still replaced it for her.. they gave her one of the 'refurb' ones as well.

(and i know it was refurb, because before we left the mall we found that the battery inside rattled, so they had to replace it AGAIN).

We were told then, that the replacement phones they give out, are unlocked.
Weither this is true to not, i am not sure.... but there was no markings on the packaging he took out of the drawer to say ROGERS, just the phone model, imei, etc on it... just pop the sim card in and go.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

hello , i am tunisian and i live in tunisia , i received an iPhone 4 as a gift from canada which is locked to rogers canada
can you please unlock my phone for carriers of my country 🙂

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello ahmozz

Unfortunately Rogers can not unlock your device unless the device IMEI number is tied into a Rogers account for 90 days. You can ether unlock it via a third party store or if u can find a online way.

I've Been Around

Dear all, I got the Iphone as a gift from a relative. I wonder if I will after the expiry of the contract will be able to use the iPhone on its network? If there is any way to unlock?
Sorry for the bad English.
Thank you

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello kremenko222

As i posted above in order to unlock the device via Rogers you will need to have the IMEI number of that phone added on a Rogers wireless account and wait for 90 days and then unlock it
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hi Gdkitty,
New phones that are purchased directly from an Apple store are not suppose to be locked to any network. I'm not certain about their replacement phones.

Rogers does honor the timeline and prior status of devices that have been replaced through them though. This would mean that the replacement phone would be unlocked at no additional fee (provided the prior phone was unlocked already) and no wait time provided the prior phone was on the account for 90 days or more. This would apply for Device Protection, AppleCare, Advanced Exchange and all repair programs.

So if your phone was replaced/repaired through the system rathar than an out of warranty replacement and was unlocked previously by Rogers, you can have the replacement unlocked fairly easily.

Hope this helps. 🙂