Unlocking iPhone 4s while still under rogers contract

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Unlocking iPhone 4s while still under rogers contract

Hello,

So I understand that Rogers will not unlock my phone while I am still under contact with them without having to pay the early cancellation fees. What I want to know though is:

a) If I choose to unlock my phone with one of the various other unlocking websites online will I get in trouble for this?

b) Is it against the rules to unlock my phone with another unlocking website?

****Edited Labels****

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Unlocking iPhone 4s while still under rogers contract

Hello chiccaboom

1. No you will not get introuble but sometimes Rogers will not repair the device for you because it will void the warranty as they say.
2.It is not against the rules BUT like i said Rogers may not repair the phone because you unlocked it threw somewhere it else. Even the manufacturer says that if you unlock the phone, it will void the warranty.
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you very much.

I also just spoke with a rep (my 5th rep today!) and I finally got some straight answers. Apparently it will NOT void my warrenty since the warrenty is only for one year anyways, and since I am past one year I'm good to go.

It is so difficult to get a straight answer from Rogers regarding this. I hope this post helps others. Basically what I found out

1. Rogers won't unlock your phone if you are still under contract. You can buy out your contract though...

2. You CAN unlock your phone (that is under contract) via other unlocking websites online. This is neither against Rogers policy nor will you get fined/charged in any way. The only downside to doing it this way is that there may be functionality issues once unlocking, but I highly doubt this as I have done this before with other phones and have never had a problem.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In the end, rogers pretty must just says.. since THEY arent the ones doing it, etc.. they cant guarantee that the phone will work 100% after it happens, etc.. they are just covering the butts 🙂

I'm Here A Lot

From what I understand, the unlocked phones are registered with Apple (I just went through the unlocking process with Rogers the other day) so I'm not entirely sure what 3rd party sites/tools you're talking about but I doubt it'll be a true unlock.

I've Been Here Awhile

What exactly did Rogers do to unlock your phone, and how much did it cost?

I Plan to Stick Around

I can't contemplate using 3rd party unlocker for iphone.

Scenario:

3 yera contract year and a 1/2 left.  Cancellation/EUF fee would be $300 + unlocking $120+ = 420

Negotiate a better EUF( this ends your contract and makes it a month-month plan basically ) and pay 1/2 so 150 then pay rogers $50 to unlock= $200....

Am i missing something on 3rd party unlockers and rogers iphones... cause lowest i've seen is 120.

I'm a Regular

I am looking to do this as well. 

I was under teh belief that by contract they meant recovery of the phone cost.  I am going to upgrade to the iPhone5, pay the EUF,  so essentially the old phone is "off contract" no?  Or do they mean the actual voice/data/wireless contract regardless.

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

All resolved. They have multiple scenarios now.

During a Hardware Upgrade by paying the EUF, the old device is released from the contract because the HUP requires a new 3 year contract, thus the old device is now eligible. Just pay the $50.

*** UPDATE ***

Hello Everyone,

Just a little update regarding unlocking Rogers Devices;

You are able to get the device unlocked while under contract provided you have had the device active on the account for a minimum of 90 days and that it is listed on your account.  

There is still a unlocking fee of $50 but you would not have to pay any early upgrade fee to get it unlocked.

Of course, if you have bought the device outright  then there is no minimum waiting period you can get it unlocked at any time.

Hope that helps!

I've Been Here Awhile

This is what I've been told as well.

Great stuff because I already have a buyer for my old iPhone, they just want it unlocked first. So after I upgrade to the iPhone 5, I'll get Rogers to unlock it, then sell it off. Done.