Unlocking Rogers iPhone 5S

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Unlocking Rogers iPhone 5S

My wife just upgraded from an iPhone 5S to an iPhone 6S.  Both phones were bought from Rogers.  Her nanoSIM has been moved to the 6S.  I belive we can now pay Rogers $50 to unlock the old 5S since its two year contract is now up.  We will then use this 5S iPhone while travelling by buying a local SIM when going sompeplace like the UK.  Do you need to put the SIM back in to unlock it and will that screw anything else up if we do that?  We have already removed my wife's profile from the phone and set it up for our daughter to use while on wifi.

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Unlocking Rogers iPhone 5S

Hello @wayner92

Yes you do. Once u go into a Rogers store to unlock the device, it will automatically unlock for any carrier.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Why do I have to go into a store?  When I unlocked her previous phone, an iPhone 4, I was just able to call in and have it done over the phone.  If I do go into a store what do I need to take?  Old phone to be unlocked and nanoSIM?  Or just old phone?  Or old phone, new phone and nanoSIM?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @wayner92

Most call center reps will tel u to go to the store thus why i said that... All you need to take is the device, nano sim that u want to unlock.
Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

@Meowmix

Sorry but that's 100% incorrect. We do not advise customer's to go in-store at all in regards to unlocking a phone unless they don't feel comfortable doing it over the phone. Regardless though, the entire unlocking process is done over the phone so the OP does not have to go in-store if he doesn't want to.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @lockdown2341

Then I suggest looking at other posts on the forums which prove that Rogers reps do indeed say it and also on Facebook or other tech sites. Also you aren't speaking for all the reps. Your speaking for your self. You can't say " we don't" as u aren't speaking on behalf on all the Rogers call center reps.. ( Read your signature for that). I can give u 2 reps names and Interaction ID numbers which both just lastnight told me to go to my local Rogers stores and get it unlocked.
Anyways they can call in but as i said some reps will tell u to go in the store. Just ask to speak to a manager and there u go. I was able to unlock my device last night after 2 reps told me to go to the store and then I asked for a manager. She helped me out and worked like a charm.

( PS. I dont want to sound rude just want to make that clear)

Rogers Employee

I never said that none of the reps do it, nor am I speaking for all of the call center reps. I'm correcting you as what you informed the original poster is incorrect. We aren't *supposed* to tell the customer to go in-store to unlock the phone, because again, all the store does is call in anyway to have it completed. The correct procedure is for it to be handled over the phone. If someone does tell you to go in-store, then it's incorrect.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @lockdown2341

Sorry but that's 100% incorrect. We do not advise customer's to go in-store at all

That sounds to me like you are speaking for everyone.. Anyways. As you said the reps are not supposed to tell customers to go in the store & i even made that very clear to the manager. She agreed & i even said that is false info as its not anywhere in the terms of uses or website. I told the reps that & they gave me the .. WE can not do it over the phone as our systems can not handle it. The store can do it for you.

So in the end a manager took her good time to help me out. Anyways thank you for making that comment as well!
Retired Moderator RogersAliciaG
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone.

I would like to help provide some clarity on this situation.

With regards to unlocks its common practice to  complete the unlock over the phone, and only direct customers to a Rogers store if they mention they are uncomfortable completing the unlock process over the phone.  

If needed customers can also be directed to a store location to present proof of purchase and unlock their device.

We must also let them know that in-store representatives will contact the call centre; it’s not something that is done independently onsite. 

Thanks, 

RogersAliciaG

Rogers Employee

Pretty much what I said @RogersAliciaG. Thank you clarifying the situation.