Traveling to Asia, iPhone 5, How to turn off data/text/phone, but still use GPS/WiFi

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Traveling to Asia, iPhone 5, How to turn off data/text/phone, but still use GPS/WiFi

I'm spending a few weeks in Asia and will be taking my iPhone 5. I want to turn off the ability for the phone to receive texts/data/ phone calls, but I want to retain GPS (for off line maps) and Wi-Fi.

If I go to airplane mode, I lose GPS.

I can go to settings and turn off cellular data, but what about voice? Will the phone try to connect with a local carrier?

Thanks for any help.

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Traveling to Asia, iPhone 5, How to turn off data/text/phone, but still use GPS/WiFi

Hello Victoria_Guy

You need to switch it to Airplane Mode. This disables any connections and mobile connections as well. You can turn on WiFi and Bluetooth while in airplane mode as well.

As for GPS. If u turn Data off then u won't be able to use gps with WiFi or if u download a Maps app which can be used Off line without data u will be fine.

*** UPDATE ***

Hello everyone,

An update and for future references:

The following information is based on using Google Maps:

GPS will work with just WiFi, it's just less convenient if you are travelling with the device because once you lose the connection you'll have to find another WiFi spot. 

Few points to consider are:

1) while in WiFi zone, select your destination, set the route and on your way you go. That way a route will be set. If you deviate it may not re-route right away, or at all until you have an Internet connection again. 

2) If you change apps it might not cache the downloaded maps so better to keep the map open.

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Traveling to Asia, iPhone 5, How to turn off data/text/phone, but still use GPS/WiFi

Thanks for the reply.

I found that if I turn on Airplane Mode, then turn Wi-Fi back on, my the GPS function doesn't work (I'm using Pocket Earth with off-line maps, so no data connectivity required, just need the iPhone GPS receiver to work).

If I go into settings and turn off Cellular data under the Cellular tab that should keep the unit from using cellular data, but what about incoming calls? How do I turn that function off?

Thanks again for the input.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Victoria_Guy

Unfortunately there is no other way shutting voice and texting features other then doing it via Airplane mode.

U need to play around a bit with ur GPS after u do those steps as it needs to idilize the settings.