Texting problem in Mexico

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Texting problem in Mexico

My wife and I are on the same Roam Like Home plan, currently visiting Mexico. When she texts me, I receive the message instantaneously. When I reply, she doesn't receive the message instantaneously. It seems she has to be in a place that's WiFi connected. What could be the reason for this. We both have iPhone 5s.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Texting problem in Mexico

Hello, @brennanb4

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

Thank you for your post. There are many variables which may be causing the texts to be delivered only when the other phone is connected to WiFi. Is the Data Roaming enabled on the phone which is only receiving the text when connected to WiFi? What is the text bubble's colour? Green is usually for text message and blue is for iMessages.

@Meowmix - any more ideas on this issue?

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks RogersMoin. Is it best to have data roaming on or off when receiving texts in a non-Wifi location?

Retired Moderator RogersGabrielle
Retired Moderator

@brennanb4,

From the problem you described, it sounds like you are sending an iMessage, which would show up as blue in your texting log, as RogersMoin mentioned. iMessage requires a data connection to send or receive messages which explains why you would only be receiving the messages once you are near a WiFi location.

You can do two things to solve your problem. The first would be to turn data roaming on, which would connect you to cellular data and allow you to receive the iMessage as soon as it comes in. Your other option would be to open the Settings application by tapping the "Settings" icon on your iPhone's home screen. Tap the "Messages" row to open the Messages screen. Tap the switch next to "iMessage" so that it reads "Off." Your iPhone will now send all messages in text message format instead of using the iMessage service, so you do not require a data connection.

Hope this helps!

@RogersGabrielle

I've Been Here Awhile

Perfect, RogersGabrielle. We activated data roaming on both phones and the texting now works instantaneously like a charm. Thank you for your help!

Retired Moderator RogersGabrielle
Retired Moderator

@brennanb4,

Happy to hear you that you are no longer having problems sending or receiving texts.  Thank you for taking the time to update the Community.

Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

@RogersGabrielle