Spammed with Read Receipts

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Spammed with Read Receipts

My family is in a group chat - the three of us that are with Rogers have been spammed by read receipts by those that are not with Rogers. We received 100+ read receipt text messages within a 10 hour period (even if we dont send them new texts). Does anyone know what is going on or how to stop it?

*Edited Labels*

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Spammed with Read Receipts

Hello, @mcoroneos

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. I can imagine how annoying it would be to receive 100+ of read receipts. Is this the first time are you receiving the read receipts from that group chat? Which app are you using to participate in that group chat? Like Whatsapp, iMessage, Facebook Messenger etc. 

It could be the group admin enabled read receipts, have you reached out to the group admin yet?

Please provide us more details so that the Community can find a solution for you. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

I’ve been having this problem for over 12 days now! I’ve lrobbaly received over 500 confirmation read receipts. I sent 1 picture to my cousin who is with Wind. I have an open ticket with Rogers but nothing seems to be working and they can’t fix it. Apparently it’s a huge problem
CK
I've Been Here Awhile

Is that like when I called Rogers IT and they told me my cousin was responsible for the over 500 read receipts and probably hit SEND 500 time lol 😂
This is not a group admin issue, it’s a MAP1 issue that you need to fix. Sounds like Wind/Freedom and Rogers are the carriers effected
CK
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello,

I've been having the same "being spammed with read receipt" problem for the past week after switching to Rogers 1.5 wks ago from Bell (I was only on Bell mobility for a few days. Previously also on Rogers cell carrier 2 weeks ago without the same problem occurring. I'm not sure what changed for me to receive the spam messages upon returning to Rogers with same iPhone).

I am on iPhone8 on Rogers, only get the "Your message to (phone #) has been Read" message from my father's Samsung Galaxy Android on Freedom mobile carrier, not from other Android user friends or others on iPhones (whether Rogers or other networks).  I have received 20-50 of these spam messages per day for the past week at all hours of day and night.  Both my father and I have our "Send Read receipts" option turned OFF in Settings.  

I checked online and have have seen a few threads dated from 2013, 2016, 2017 mentioning same issue, all seem to be from Canadian users, mostly iPhone on Rogers sending to Android phones (a few Fido customers, which also rides off Rogers network I believe).   As suggested on other posts, I have also tried turning "iMessage" setting off and have updated to iOS11, to no avail, still getting the frequent spam.  I will also try calling into Rogers IT.

Please post if you discover the solution to the annoying problem.  In the meantime, I have put my father's cell # as a "blocked caller", which is not ideal!

Thanks!

I've Been Here Awhile

Update: Rogers IT phone help says they have had multiple calls about the matter and believe it is a Wind/Freedom mobile issue.  Rep "refreshed my phone" from their side just in case it's a Rogers issue and have escalated matter to "Level 2" tech support.  Per Rogers rep, Wind/Freedom is working on the problem and Wind/Freedom anticipates it to be fixed later this afternoon (Sat June 2).  

In the meantime, I have 'unblocked' my father's cell # ...and just received yet another spam text after my phone was reset.

I've Been Here Awhile

Update: It’s been 5 days and no more spammed texts. Thanks Rogers for fixing the issue (or dealing with Wind/Freedom on the problem).