Settings for new Data Plan

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Settings for new Data Plan

I need direction/advice as to setting up my iPhone 6S Plus for my new Data plan.  Do I need to have Cellular enabled??  What other settings need to be enabled to achieve the best results?  Previously only had talk and text but no data plan.

Any and all instruction appreciated.

*** Added Labels ***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Settings for new Data Plan

Cellular period on most phones is usually on with most phones, has to be for the phone/text, etc.

The main thing to make sure on the phone that is on, is under Settings > Cellular 

There is a Cellular Data.  Just need to make sure that that is on.

On a side note, you can on this page can actually set settings for what can and cant use cellular data.
You can set it up that those apps can then only run while your on wifi, not using up any cellular data while you are out.

I'm Here A Lot

Hi @Gdkitty!

Thank you for your response and instruction. What apps would you recommend to set up/edit to use only WiFi?  Also, should I enable WiFi Assist?

Appreciate any and all input.

Thanks.

John A.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Personally, no, i dont like having Wifi assist on.
That it will use some of your cellular when your wifi performance is not great...  you cant really tell when it is/isnt.. and you potentially could be using a lot of cellular usage, when you really dont want/plan to.

Otherwise..

App wise, its really up to you.  Some times might/may go out and check things a LOT, like Facebook, etc.  Other things not so much.
If its something that you would never plan on using outside of an area with wifi.. than its something you can turn off.

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you 🙏 very much for your reply !!
I will assess whether or not to enable WiFi Assist !!
Sincerely appreciate your input !!
I'm a Regular

I'd disable the WiFi Assist -- I have it similarly set up on android.

As for enabling/disabling certain applications, I will personally leave everything enabled. But when I had an iPhone (which really hasn't changed since) the data management is horrendous.

Android or iOS, I find its many little things inside an applications settings that will set you up for unexpected usage.
Facebook - by default will pay videos as scrolling through, Instagram too (these can be 'turned off" in their settings)
Many video applications will default to auto detect, changing in their settings will force the lower quality or no cellular.
Google Photos for example will default to uploading videos and photos over cellular -- I once got burned by this myself, didn't realize I had cellular video uploads enabled and cost me 2 GB extra (luckily had a $10/GB extra plan)
For photos apps like Google Photos, myself, would recommend just photo cellular, but you can decide to have all just upload via WiFi.

Another unique thing about Rogers (and Fido) is their extended coverage, and to be able to use it, you need to have data roaming on. You'll get a pop up saying you'll likely get charged, but Rogers-EXT is included in the cost of your plan.

Because of that, and Roam Like Home, I just leave data roaming on all the time now. The only time you'd want to turn off data roaming is when going on a cruise ship as they are not part of Roam Like Home and their charges are beyond ludicrous.

Hope this helps. I know for myself, having mobile data has been great. Use it almost exclusively when traveling as I don't connect my devices to open WiFi networks.
I'm Here A Lot

Hi b-ry:

Very much appreciate the many suggestions and tips!!  It's really helping me adjust to having DATA and all the necessary settings etc.

Thank you again!

John A.