Setting up hand me down iPhone 4.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Setting up hand me down iPhone 4.

My brother upgraded to an iphone 6 and gave me his 4. What do I need to do to set it up?

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Setting up hand me down iPhone 4.

I should add that neither my husband or I have ever owned a cellphone. So if my question seems silly, I apologize!
The phone is with Rogers, and I believe he deactivated the SIM card before he gave me the phone.
I'm worried that I'll take it to the Rogers store and they will think it's stolen.

I've Been Here Awhile

No, you should be fine. Unless your brother reported it stolen. 

I would suggest having your brother unlock the phone, because he still have a service with rogers. So, you can use it on with phone provider, if you choose. 

But, to answer your question.  All you need is a new SIM card from rogers and activate it to your account. 

Also, I am not 100% sure, but if you buy the SIM card over the phone, they will charge your a service charge. I suggest calling Rogers for more information and get the facts before making your final decision. 

Hope this help,

I've Been Here Awhile

Very helpful! Thanks!

I have the phone with me now. What needs to be done/what it costs to unlock it?
I was going to just go with the 100.00 yearly, unlimited text with 100 minutes of talk, plan, and use wifi for internet.
It's just for emergencies, and for my husband to take to work.
If it was unlocked though, I could check out plans from other carriers.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello famograham

In order to unlock it via Rogers, its a $50 fee and the IMEInumber must be on a existing Rogers wireless account for 90 days. That's the only way to unlock it via Rogers. If you want to unlock it another way it's a bigger fee.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Your best bet is to unlock it first and then you can use whatever carrier you want.  Given that you are a very light user of the phone then you may want to go with one of the smaller carriers as they seem more competitive with lower end plans.