Rogers wireless network almost useless

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers wireless network almost useless

How much longer will this terrible throughput and latency go on?  For the last month, I've had full bars yet the internet is almost useless in downtown Ottawa.  My friends with iphones are having the same problem.  I rely on this device and if this is the new norm, I'm afraid I'll be looking for alternatives.  I'd just like to get the data I'm paying dearly for...

And yes, I've tried every trick in the book that Tech Support asked me to do.   Sorry, but it's the network.

Link

Link 2

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersJean
Retired Moderator

Re: Rogers wireless network almost useless

Hi gnich and welcome to the forums,

Would be able to share what steps you have taken to try and resolve this?

Where are you located specifically?

If all the troubleshooting steps have been attempted, the last step is to escalate the issue with Tier 2 if it is indeed a network issue.

You can reach our technical support at 1866-931-3282. Keep us updated if you get things working!

I've Been Here Awhile

Well guys,

I have been reading all the posts regarding network problems and can tell you this is not specific to the iPhone.  I have a Blackberry Bold 9000 and my son who is also with Rogers has an iPhone 3G and we both have problems and have had for at least 3 months.  I can tell you from previous experiences over the years I have been with Rogers they WILL NOT admit to network problems.  They will however say it's the operator error or a device malfunction.  I have learned to accept this problem and no matter how much I complain it gets resolved when they get around to it.   I travel on occasion and have had this problem different places in Canada.  So Rogers.  I think you need to consider upgrading your network BEFORE  you upgrade your devices.  By the way I tried to reply to another string of posts on this problem and found the string was locked.  What's up with that?  I guess Rogers doesn't like the negative attention. 

I'm Here A Lot

mattahari75,

are you using an old sim card? because if so, then i suggest upgrading them because using an old sim card in a newer device will affect the network performace. i had the same problem a few months back with my blackberry curve 3G and tech support suggested updating my sim card because i was using my previous one from my old phone and when i did get a new sim, the reception and call connections and quality was much better.

if you did get a new sim card and still experiencing the same problems then maybe your devices might be defective which is replaceable by tech support if you're still within the 1 year manufacturer's warranty. because honestly i have absolutely no problems with the 3G network and neither does my bf who's using an iphone 4 (surprise surprise!)

i've been a Rogers wireless customer for 8 years and never had a complaint about the network.

I'm Here A Lot

I live in Manitoba and frequently visit a rural area to visit family. We've been promised 3G and coverage expansion/improvements for SEVERAL years, but nope, nothing.

I tried to use my iPhone over EDGE the other day - it was too slow. So I did a speed test, this is a VERY unacceptable speed!

http://imgur.com/kzYoQ.jpg

This isn't just an iPhone thing, I tested on another 3G device I own, and exact same sort of speeds. This is horrible! I'm in the country right now, and it just says "No Service". I wish Rogers would hurry up and turn 3G on already (it was supposed to be up by now), but I know the 3G network will be just as bad.. testing it when it would randomly turn on, the upload speeds were that bad as well.

I wish Rogers would get their head out of their derriere and fix the darn network (and upgrade in rural Canada). Telus probably will have 3G in Manitoba (outside Winnipeg) before Rogers ever will! 

I've Been Here Awhile

I live in rural manitoba, and have been promised for the last 2 years, every 6 months, that I would be getting 3G service...  And now when you go to rogers.com/manitoba you get a error 500 - page not found on server..  So does this mean that they're not going through with the 3G upgrade in manitoba now?  So I think you have one too many words in the title of this post...

I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same issue using my iPhone 3G connection, almost full bars and no movement of data... I am located downtown Toronto at Simcoe and Richmond St. specifically and it's been like this for months here, today is especially bad, I've called Rogers techsupport numerous times and no resolution....

- upgraded the firmware to the latest one

- restored the phone (which isn't the issue since I am not the only Rogers iPhone customer having the issues in this area

This is horrible... mind you it works fine in other areas but this is not what I pay for $100+ a month to have it works only in some places!Smiley Sad

I've Been Around

I have the same problem.

When I purhcased my iphone and signed my THREE year contract, I was promised I would have service son rural highways. I do not. It does not work as soon as I leave the city.

I have spoken to Tech about this, all they do is transfer you from department to department. The answer I got is"well, the map says it works." It doesn't, their map is wrong.

So frustrating to be stuck with a phone that does not work!

Retired Moderator RogersJean
Retired Moderator

Hi all,

I am sorry to hear you are all experiencing these issues but we need to get contacted directly so we can go through the proper troubleshooting on our end OR escalate the issue to our network engineers.

That is the only way we will be able to address and fix these issues.

If you call 1866-931-3282, press 2 for technical support. One of our iPhone experts will be able to work on a resolution with you. Be sure to keep us updated!

You can also reach our live chat support at www.rogershelp.com/btsc

Thanks to everyone for being patient.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Network Problems

Can't Rogers post network problems and outages on their site somewhere easily accessible? At least then I would know and would'nt need to sit on hold thinking it may be an issue with my phone, SIM, etc...

Maybe they do somewhere and I can't find it.