Reservation System - Thoughts?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Reservation System - Thoughts?

Like many of you, I've been following comments here all week in anticipation of my new 4S.

Now that the big day is here, my observation is - by and large - the reservation system worked as advertised. It even handled peak traffic quite well, from what I could tell. Other carriers around the globe have not fared so well.

Keeping in mind that this is really the first true test of this system, I think it deserves a little more credit than most people have given it. I can only imagine how mind-boggling the logistics for this type of release can be.

So, while I have thrown lots of criticism in Rogers' direction over the years, I am really just writing this to say thanks. Because of this system, I will have a phone that I'm guessing would otherwise be sold out for quite a while.

******* Edit labels ********

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Reservation System - Thoughts?

Did you get the text message about reserving the new iPhone? It clearly says "...be one of the first in line...". So the expectation was created and now people, especially those of us among the first couple of hundred in the reservation queue, really thought we'd be first in line are disappointed to find out that Rogers is now saying "we, yeah we said first in line but we didn't REALLY mean first in line, but you're right up there"

So there reservation idea was good but those of us that had a relatively low number really thought we'd have our new iphones in hand already and are disappointed to have to wait until...well, we don't really know because Rogers isn't saying.

I've Been Here Awhile

The "system" is a failure and pretty much a lie to keep you from going to another carrier. Rogers couldn't be straight up about it, and even when asked didn't admit that the majority of phones shipped are for walk-in, with paid "reservations" being no priority. If they had been honest and said from the start that "yeah, you won't get a phone anytime soon if you reserve, it just guarantees that you'll eventually get it", I and probably most people would have either stood in line or gone to another carrier.

once again, rogers feeds us bull***t

I Plan to Stick Around

Really?

This reservation system was easy to use but there was a lot of mystery around how it worked and what different statuses meant. Finally, after 6 days, Rogers finally posted some information on Redboard last night.

All this reservation system gaurantees is one day, you will eventually get the colour and capacity you want. Who knows if that's 2 days or 2 months from launch day. I guess it depends on what you reserved and where you live.

What most people thought it meant, including myself, was that the phone you reserved would be ready at your local store on launch day. Unless you're dead set on a colour and capacity, this was a big waste of everyone's time and $40. We were all better off going to wait in line or reserving with Apple directly.

I've Been Here Awhile

Huh. Well the $40 is merely a deposit that will be returned. There seems to have been a lot of misunderstanding around that. Guess they should have worded it differently.

I guess I just never had the expectation of being "first in line". I don't really see the benefit of that. I just wanted a phone before they are sold out. And the system delivered; my phone arrived at my chosen store this morning.

It seems that nearly everyone in here is seriously upset. Perhaps those who are pleased with the results are simply not checking back in the forums any longer. Anyway, enjoy your iPhones! I know I will!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

of course you're happy with the system since you're one of the few that actually got a phone. for everyone else that's been bumped around in queue, had status not update and no calls or emails, only to either contact a store to find that they're not a priority, or that even though they reserved the store tells them that they're not elegible without a huge fee, or that they can just show up and get a phone even though their status is still "open", it's a seriously broken system.

I Plan to Stick Around

I thought the reservation system would work the other way reservation or pre-orders work.

For example, when a video game is released, you can go to EB Games and pay a $5 deposit so that they hold a copy for you on the release date. When their stock arrives, they set aside X ammount of pre-orders and sell the rest to walk ins. You walk in the store, pay the remainder of the cost and walk away with your game safely secured on the release date. If you didn't do that, you risk the game being sold out and having to look around for it.

What they don't do is take my money and sell their stock to other people while expecting me to wait days or most likely weeks to get what I reserved.

Depending on how long my phone takes to arrive, this may be what finally pushes me to cancel my account with Rogers.

"I guess I just never had the expectation of being "first in line". I don't really see the benefit of that."

Then why did you even reserve a phone if you didn't see the benefit in the whole point of this reservation system?

"I just wanted a phone before they are sold out."

So did I... now being on the reservation list will mean I and others will likely have to wait while the first shipments sell out.

It's great it worked out for you... so far you're the one person I've seen who's had that happen for them.

I'm a Regular

Rogers Reservation System

Like alot of us I am anticipating the new iPhone being announced on 9th September... However this is the first year i'll be getting a new phone with Rogers, and the first year i'll be getting it on launch... So my question is how does the rogers reservation system work? Do i have to pick up in store, or can it be shipped to my house on the RRS? Can you pre-order with apple on contract like you can in the USA and have it shipped to your house launch day?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @jackthecompguy

If you are a regular Rogers customers then u reserve the iphone to be shipped to ur nearest Rogers corporate store. Only business accounts have the ship to home option. Yes if u reserve or pre order with Apple, I believe it can be shipped to u home but u won't get the goodies that Rogers will offer at this reservation
I'm a Regular

I have a Small Business account and business plan. So I can ship to home then? Great! What I meant with apple is can I pre-order with apple on a 2 year contract or does it have to be an unlocked handset for apple preorders?